none
MS Access Application.quit fails to stop Access in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Windows 10 on a PC here and I am running a mature and stable MS Access 2007 application that has a quit button on the main form. This button calls application.quit. This closes the application and I still see Access running in Background processes, which interferes with any further attempts to reopen it. 

As a test I created a new database without no tables, just one form and one button with application.quit in the on click event. Even this most basic application cannot close properly. 

There is a reference to this problem in Access 2000 but not since. Has anyone seen this issue and is there a fix? This is most distressing.

Friday, November 13, 2015 2:16 PM

Answers

• Application.Quit should be rock-solid. Have you run the Office repair from the control Panel along with a reboot just to see if that makes a difference?

Also, is your PC up-to-date with MS updates?

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

• Marked as answer by RGKaye Friday, November 13, 2015 8:58 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 5:15 PM

All replies

• I don't have Windows 10 to test this on, but I'm wondering if clicking the [X] button or using the menu to quit results in the same circumstance?

Friday, November 13, 2015 3:39 PM
  • Interesting.

Clicking X button does not exhibit this problem. Menu also works fine. It seems to be restricted to application.quit 

Friday, November 13, 2015 4:17 PM
  • Just taking a shot in the dark, but have you tried the following?

Application.Quit acQuitSaveNone

Friday, November 13, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Application.Quit should be rock-solid. Have you run the Office repair from the control Panel along with a reboot just to see if that makes a difference?

Also, is your PC up-to-date with MS updates?

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

• Marked as answer by RGKaye Friday, November 13, 2015 8:58 PM
    Friday, November 13, 2015 5:15 PM
  • Hi,

as you wrote in the times of 2000 there were several problems that caused Access to stay open. One of them was that Application.Quit "sometimes" didn't work whereas DoCmd.Quit did. You could give that a try.

cu
    Karl
    Access FAQ (de/it): donkarl.com
    Access Lobby: AccessDevelopers.org

Friday, November 13, 2015 6:10 PM
  • I recently installed Windows 10 on a PC here and I am running a mature and stable MS Access 2007 application that has a quit button on the main form. This button calls application.quit. This closes the application and I still see Access running in Background processes, which interferes with any further attempts to reopen it. 

Hi,

Since I use Windows10, I see also strange things, that I never saw on Windows7 or WindowsXP. In all cases I use A2003.

When I open the General.mdb, then in (I guess) about 1 in 5 times the applications creates an General.ldb file, but further nothing happens, nothing to see. Subsequent clicking General.mdb to try to open it, results in no effect. I have to go to the TaskManager to kill the Access process. The other 4 in 5 times (on the average) General.mdb opens in the expected way, so that I can work on this library database.

I have not yet seen this behaviour on all my other (on this moment 88) applications, they always open in the normal way.

I have not yet seen a pattern when General.mdb opens normally and when not.

General starts with a Start_form that has the following code:

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

If (Not File_exists("C:\Q\Check.mdb")) Then
        Application.Quit
      End If
      Cancel = True
    End Sub

I do not understand the random behaviour, only on Windows10.

Imb.

• Edited by Imb-hb Friday, November 13, 2015 6:41 PM typo
    Friday, November 13, 2015 6:38 PM
  • Nice suggestion. I had already tried that and it made no difference.
    Friday, November 13, 2015 8:16 PM
  • The PC was updated to win10 yesterday from Win 7 and that is when the problem started. I sahould be on the latest Win10 as it checked for updates during the update.

Office Diagnostics show no issues.

Friday, November 13, 2015 8:17 PM
  • Hi Karl, 

Sorry, no joy. In my simple test app with one one form and one button, I changed the on click event of the button to docmd.quit. Closed and reopend the app 3 times.

I now have 3 open background processes "Microsoft Office Access 2007 (32 bit)". 

Friday, November 13, 2015 8:24 PM
  • Hi,

you wrote that the "menu" works. So how about

RunCommand acCmdExit

?

cu
    Karl
    Access FAQ (de/it): donkarl.com
    Access Lobby: AccessDevelopers.org

Friday, November 13, 2015 9:30 PM