Creating Publishing Settings/Publishing Site RRS feed

• Question

• I have upgraded my 10 year old laptop to a brand new one and therefore have had to update to the Web Expression 4 software.  I am trying to navigate it - the previous version I was using was at least 8 years old!

I run a friend's (very basic) website but am not very tech savvy when it comes to web design/coding/etc.  I am having problems connecting to the "current publishing destination."  I have the FTP IP address, the destination website address, the user name and password for the Net Nation user website. 

When I try to connect to the current publishing destination, I get this error:

The folder ftp:\\<IP address> does exist on the remote web location.  Would you like a folder created at that location?

When I answer yes, it says it can't create it.

What am I doing wrong? Any thoughts or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Friday, February 10, 2017 2:42 AM

All replies

• The four things you need are the location (the ftp address), the directory, the ftp username and the ftp password.  There is a fifth field, "name", which is simply the name you will give to this publishing connection, and can be whatever you like.

I assume you have not entered the directory, which is the destination folder required to reach the root of your site. Your hosting company should provide you with complete instructions.

For example, unless your hosting company set up your ftp account to go directly into your site root (in which case the directory field can be left blank), it probably connects at a level above your site root.  Your site root folder name will vary by hosting company, but common ones are wwwroot or public_html.

A simple google for "Net Nation FTP instructions" gives: http://help.netnation.com/docs/guidebook/old/Using_FTP/Configure_FTP_Clients.htm  which suggests you'd use your domain name (ftp://yourdomain.com), not an IP address, although the IP address should also work, and that the FTP directory you need to enter is probably "www".

Kathleen Wilber
    BrightWillow - Asp.Net Applications

Friday, February 10, 2017 6:13 AM