none
Error out almost every time I run code RRS feed

• Question

• I can barely run two lines of code without getting an error that has to shut down smallbasic. It is very bfrustrating.  I have re-installed many times. re-intalled .net framework many times. Stripped my son's xp system down to basically no installed programs except Office 2003, the .net updates and visual basic 2008 express.

Seems to run fine on my Vista system.

This is the error:

Microsoft Small Basic encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The report will not send even though I press the button to do so. I have successfully sent IE errors in the past and since encountering the small basic errors so I know it works.

The Error signature:

EventType: clr20r3   P1:sb.exe   P2:0.2.0.0   P3:494753fe
    P4:mscorlib   P5:2.0.0.0   P6:492b834a   P7:343f   P8:26d
    P9:system.io.ioexception 

Same error every time same error report every time. Code written does not matter. Wish I could post a screen shot.

Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:57 PM

Answers

• Every time I write code, and Xp reminds me of an error I have, and have seen mentioned other places on the forums.

There is a bug with SmallBasic in some XP installations where all programs crash if they have not been saved prior to running. It seems SmallBasic can't get proper rights to the temp directory so it is unable to create any files there.

Before running any code for the first time, make a point of saving the code first.

Monday, February 9, 2009 11:51 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I don't have an answer, but my Help Desk trouble shooting mind has kicked in...

You said the code doesn't matter, so there is not a least a consitancy like when using math commands, and/or graphic commands, and/or textwindow commands...  etc. ...is when the error occurs?

Another piece of information that might help with trouble shooting, based on the forum's here, what country is this setup in?
    I remember reading about some problems with International settings, especially with math/numbers.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 10:37 PM
  • Is your code saved when you try to run it? SmallBasic crashes for me when I run code that I have not saved.

--rbedi100
    Monday, February 9, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Every time I write code, and Xp reminds me of an error I have, and have seen mentioned other places on the forums.

There is a bug with SmallBasic in some XP installations where all programs crash if they have not been saved prior to running. It seems SmallBasic can't get proper rights to the temp directory so it is unable to create any files there.

Before running any code for the first time, make a point of saving the code first.

Monday, February 9, 2009 11:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Interesting about the save before running issue.  I have to admit I probably was not saving. It was random in that I would open an example (like the tetris example someone made) and as soon as I opened it I would run it and it worked. Exit running program, try to run again and then get the crash or sometimes not.  Then start a new program and write one line and run then crash.  I will try the save first solution and report back.

Also, this is in the USA, North Carolina.  Not an international build. XP pro running in standard us english.

Thanks.
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:11 AM
  • Yep.  The save before running seems to be the key.  Hard to understand. Logged in with admin privileges on the system. You would think access to the temp file would not be a problem.

Thanks guys.  My son can start his budding programming career after all!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 12:45 AM