none
Setup Project for word add ins RRS feed

• Question

• I am using c# and Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word;

So I have created my windows form application (ProjectA) which will create a add in icon in the word using the ribbon button. When user click on the button, a windows form pops up and depending on the user selection, I do some action. Everything is fine. When I run the project, I can see the add ins icon in word. 

Now I want to make a setup project for this project so it will install the icon for everyone who will log in to this computer.  Things I tried:

1. Right click on main project and publish. And I can run the Setup.exe and I can set it up. Problem is, it only add the add ins button in word for current user who installed it. If someone else log in to this computer, the icon is not there. 

2. Added a separate Setup project (ProjectB) and add custom action for ProjectA output to get setup and msi file. But this installation shows me that its successful. But this does not put the "add ins" icon in the MS word. 

Question: Which aproach is the best to get setup file ? I need msi file to push it to every single computer so I was trying option 2 and hoping that it will work. But I can't see the icon in the word after installation with option 2. 

If option 2 is definitely not going to work, how can I follow option 1 so everyone (users) can see the icon in word ?

• Moved by Terry Xu - MSFT Wednesday, May 16, 2018 5:07 AM Setup Related
    • Moved by Stanly Fan Monday, May 21, 2018 1:48 AM VSTO related
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 3:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,

It seems that you want to deploy an VSTO project to the all users in the windows. If so, I would suggest you try to deploy the project via Windows Installer.

Please try to refer to below link for more information.

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by newbiesaspnet Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:55 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For the option1, please try the following solution to add the icons to the publish project:

Add the icon to your winform project, then set the publish status to "Include":

Then publish your application.

Regards,

Frankie

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. I don't see this Application Files option that you are referring to. When I have created the project, I created it: Word 2010 VSTO Document type project which supports adding ribbon icon. Where should I look for this ?

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:52 PM
  • Hi,

What the type of your project is? Is it a winform application?

Please right click the winform application then select the Properties tab, then switch to the Publish tab to watch the interface as me.

Regards,

Frankie

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, May 17, 2018 6:08 AM
  • Hi Frankie,

As I have mentioned, I had to choose "Word 2010 VSTO Document" type project. Not Windows Form type project. If you create a project with this type, you will see this option is not available under publish. 

Sunday, May 20, 2018 3:36 AM
  • Hello,

It seems that you want to deploy an VSTO project to the all users in the windows. If so, I would suggest you try to deploy the project via Windows Installer.

Please try to refer to below link for more information.

Deploying an Office Solution by Using Windows Installer

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by newbiesaspnet Wednesday, May 23, 2018 4:55 PM
    Monday, May 21, 2018 8:21 AM