dss on network-disconnected box RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to run dsshost on a box with no network connection.  Running dsshost -p:50000 yields the following message:

*** Initialization failed in DSS boot loader: There is an error in XML document    (10, 7).

fwiw, I have '127.0.0.1 localhost' in my hosts file.

cheers,
    R
    Monday, April 2, 2007 9:27 PM

Answers

• Rob,

Thanks for the note! I was just about to write that we could not repro here (had tried on XP, W2K3, Vista) but the above is definitely something we can fix.

Henrik

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi rob, is this the command lin you used exactly:

dsshost.exe -p:50000

or where there other arguments? Is the dsshost.exe.config file modified in any way?

Tuesday, April 3, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Hi George,

That's the exact command line, and to the best of my knowledge I haven't changed the config file.

cheers,
    R
    Tuesday, April 3, 2007 4:07 PM
  • Rob,

Has there ever been a network card on that machine, or has it always been without a network card? We work fine with a network card present when it is not active (i.e disconnected, etc.)  but maybe something in the underlying stack (HTTP, TCP) reacts differently if there is no network card present at all.

Henrik

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 10:55 PM
  • Hi Henrik,

Yes, the box has a network card.  The problem came to light when our network went down, and can be reproduced by disabling the network interface.  My MSRS installation is on the local disk.

cheers,
    R
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 11:02 PM
  • Hmm, this is exactly what we don't see. Could I please get you to try and get the debug output using a tool like dbgview which is freely available from [1]. Just start it before you start the node and see the spew in the window. That should tell us more about what is going on.

Henrik

[1] http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/debugview.mspx

Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:16 AM
  • Hi Henrik,

Sadly dbgview spews only one line, the same error message I reported above.
    I've tried to do some more digging to see what's up but the strace tools I've found so far have been lacking in one way or another.  If I can send you any more diagnostics I'll let you know.

cheers,
    R
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 9:57 PM
  • ok, we will try and see whether we can repro here as well.
    Friday, April 6, 2007 9:15 PM
  • Hi guys,

With a little help from filemon I've tracked down the source of this problem.  The XML file in question was the security settings.  I had this Users block:

<Users>
        <UserPermission>
          <Rights>All</Rights>
          <UserName>MSRS_TEST</UserName>
        </UserPermission>
        <UserPermission>
          <Rights>All</Rights>
          <UserName>MSRS_TESTA</UserName>
        </UserPermission>
        <UserPermission>
          <Rights>All</Rights>
          <Sid>S-1-5-32-544</Sid>
        </UserPermission>
      </Users>

I changed it to just <Users />.  dsshost barfed on the first </UserPermission>, presumably because it was trying to look up the user on the non-existent domain controller.  I'm not sure whether these user settings were in the original distro or if I added them at some point.  For future releases it would be helpful to provide a more verbose error. :-)

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 4:17 PM
  • Rob,

Thanks for the note! I was just about to write that we could not repro here (had tried on XP, W2K3, Vista) but the above is definitely something we can fix.

Henrik

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 12:25 AM