Visual Studio: Xamarin - Error starting Android Emulator RRS feed

• Question

• User396912 posted

Operating System: windows

Using the Hello World xamarin example in Visual Studio - I'm unable to start the Android Emulator.

When I click on the Run button in the Android Device Manager - the error appears immediately (See attached)

Error-AndroidDeviceManager enter image description here

Emulator error

Device error: WARNING: unexpected '-prop' value ('monodroid.avdname=pixel2pie90-api_28'), only 'qemu.' properties are supported WARNING: unexpected '-prop' value ('emu.uuid=4b63b139-cc77-4b66-9200-0d25f8fc545e'), only 'qemu.' properties are supported

Windows Specifications Edition: Windows 10 Pro Version: 1909

Processor AMD Ryzen 9

Task Manager: Performance: Virtualization is Enabled

cmd - systeminfo: Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes Second Level Address Translation: Yes Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

Windows Features On/Off (see attached - shows Hyper V / Virtualization enabled as per documentation): WindowsFeatures enter image description here

Monday, September 21, 2020 8:19 PM

All replies

• User371688 posted

Please check the SDK Manager for updates to ensure you have the latest version of sdks and tools.

The step is: Tools -> Android -> Android SDK Manager...

Then you will open the Android SDKs and Tools dialog as follows:

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 6:31 AM
  • User396912 posted

thanks Jezh, that's helpful. I've checked the Android SDK Manager - looks okay to me?

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:06 AM
  • User371688 posted

What's the version of your computer's Operating System?

Besides, what's version of your visual studio? It is recommended that you use the latest version.

You can first read through the document Hardware acceleration for emulator performance (Hyper-V & HAXM)

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 8:47 AM
  • User396912 posted

Thanks - I've been through that document, that's where it looks as though I've applied all the correct settings for AMD / Virtualization.

Operating System I have is as as follows :

Windows Specifications Edition: Windows 10 Pro Version: 1909

Processor AMD Ryzen 9

Visual Studio: 2019 - I'll add the details to the main message too.

I've been through a few options on the Windows Features.

When I have Hyper-V and Windows Hypervisor Platform ON - I have the error as per the main message thread I posted.

The document mentions:

On Windows 10 October 2018 Update (RS5) and higher, you only need to enable Hyper-V, as it will use Windows Hypervisor Platform (WHPX) automatically.

When I turn Windows Hypervisor Platform OFF via Windows Features I get the follow error when starting the Android Emulator through Android Device Manager:

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 9:17 AM
  • User396912 posted

Visual Studio 2019

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 9:22 AM
  • User396936 posted

I'm facing the exact same issue. My system is a Windows 10 VM running in a Standard D4s v3 Azure Machine.

Tuesday, September 22, 2020 5:20 PM
  • User371688 posted

If you have installed android studio, you can try to start the emulator(9.0) in your android studio.

Besides, you can also try to reinstall your emulator. (uncheck the Android Emulator and recheck it).

Thursday, September 24, 2020 2:57 AM
  • User396912 posted

I have not installed Android Studio.. yet.. that might be the next option - in case that inadvertently solves Visual Studio 2019. Ideally, I would not install Android Studio and get this resolved to work on Visual Studio 2019 only.

I tried reinstalling the Emulator as suggested (thank you for the step to uncheck/check too!) - same issue though.. so still unresolved.

Thursday, September 24, 2020 2:37 PM
  • User371688 posted

Then you can post your question in the following link for further support: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/8/index.html

Thank you for your support for Xamarin.

Friday, September 25, 2020 1:43 AM