Toshiba TG-01 GPS Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if anyone else has been developing on the Toshiba TG-01 as of yet, but I have been experiencing some strange behavior with the GPS. In my code, I am using the Microsoft.WindowsMobile.Samples.Location GPS wrapper (that uses the built in Windows Mobile GPS driver) to acquire GPS data. This has worked on a number of other windows mobile 6 devices really well and I have never had any problems. It also has even worked fine with the Toshiba TG-01 on a number of occassions. However, sometimes I will power off the device and turn it back on and the GPS driver will no long provide valid data any longer. According to my debugging, the GPS's device state is listed as ON, but it never delivers any accurate fix data (or even the set of satellites its trying to get a fix from). The location changed events are thrown, but all the data is listed as invalid.

Once this occurs, the only way to fix the problem is to Master Clear the phone. Once I do that, everything is back to normal. I have tried changing the External GPS settings, completely draining the phone by removing the battery, and even turning Off and then On the GPS Intermediate Driver in the registry. However, none of those changes actually affect the problem the at all.

This same behavior has been exhibited on both WinMo 6.1 and 6.5 on the phone (I was hoping the upgrade would fix the issue). So at this point my intuition suggests that there is a problem with Toshiba's implementation of the Windows Mobile GPS driver. I contacted Toshiba tech support and they gave me the canned response of we don't support anything but some specific 3rd party applications. I don't know how they plan to continue that way of thinking now that the marketplace is active, but thats beside the point. Has anybody encountered this or figured out a workaround for this? If it turns out to be a Toshiba problem, then do I have to contact Microsoft about a problem with their Windows Mobile compliance?
    Friday, October 16, 2009 8:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have the device with me at the moment to be able test however you might want to try posting a quick question on the TG01 - Modaco forum as it sounds like this is a specific problem with the TG01 :-

http://www.modaco.com/category/408/toshiba-tg01-tg01-modaco-com/

Out of interest, do you power the device off and on in the middle of the GPS Sample running (receiving data) ? Does the situation improve if you stop the GPS Sample prior to restarting the device? Also does the same behaviour occur if you use the Reset button under the battery cover?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    http://www.smartmobiledevice.co.uk/
    • Marked as answer by ZHE ZHAO Friday, October 23, 2009 8:28 AM
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Paul,

I will try those things and get back to you.

For your specific questions: I always turn off the GPS before powering off the device. (I haven't tried to leave it on and power off/ back on)
    I will try using the Reset button under the battery cover but I didn't know if that was going to make a difference or not.

Thanks again.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I am trying to reproduce the behaviour you are describing onmy TG-01 however I have a question.

I have the GPS Sample running, and I am getting valid data. When you say you power the device and turn it back on, do you mean you restart the device or just put the device to sleep and wake it up?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    Friday, October 16, 2009 9:54 PM
  • Paul,

Sorry for the confusion on that. When i say power the device, I meant holding down the power button while the device is on, and then selecting Power Off.

Monday, October 19, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Hi,

When you run the GPS Sample again what happens after you have powered the device back on?

You say that the data is invalid, are the Valid properties telling you that or is it that you are seeing yourself that the values are not correct?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:36 PM
  • Paul,

After running the sample again, everything seems to run exactly the same, however, the Valid properties tell me that all my data is invalid. In other words, not a single field is correct. This never corrects itself no matter what the case may be with the GPS. As you probably know, typically a GPS will gain at least 1 satellite fix after a few seconds. It just seems like the GPS driver stops receiving any accurate information.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:40 PM
  • To expand on this a little more.... The event for LocationChanged still fires with frequency, but none of the Valid properties change. Also, just so you know, the device state for the GPS does reflect that the GPS is in "On".
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:42 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, I don't have the device with me at the moment to be able test however you might want to try posting a quick question on the TG01 - Modaco forum as it sounds like this is a specific problem with the TG01 :-

http://www.modaco.com/category/408/toshiba-tg01-tg01-modaco-com/

Out of interest, do you power the device off and on in the middle of the GPS Sample running (receiving data) ? Does the situation improve if you stop the GPS Sample prior to restarting the device? Also does the same behaviour occur if you use the Reset button under the battery cover?

Thanks

Paul Diston
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Paul,

I will try those things and get back to you.

For your specific questions: I always turn off the GPS before powering off the device. (I haven't tried to leave it on and power off/ back on)
    I will try using the Reset button under the battery cover but I didn't know if that was going to make a difference or not.

Thanks again.
    Monday, October 19, 2009 4:53 PM