AngularJS and Community 2015 Debug Disabled RRS feed

• Question

• User-614851559 posted

I am following Stephen Walther's blog on using asp.net 5 and AngularJS. I am on Windows 10 with Community 2015.

At the end of part 2 from the blog, everything was mostly working (a few build errors, but page displayed with AngularJS)  and I shut down Community 2015. Now, the debug option is dis-abled (grayed out) and I get this error: 'The debugger cannot continue running the process. Unable to start debugging". 

When I try to build, I get this error: 

Severity Code
    Description Project
    File Line
    Error The design time host build failed with the following error: The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters. MovieAngularJSApp
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v14.0\DNX\Microsoft.DNX.targets

My daughter has been following the same blog and is now getting the same error.

How do I fix this? I am new to Community 2015 and many of the instructions for this type of error are unclear to me in terms of what exactly to do (involving attaching and unattaching project from solution, using devenv, using command line). Is there a simple and clear solution for me as a newbie to this?

Sunday, November 15, 2015 11:03 PM

Answers

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

'The debugger cannot continue running the process. Unable to start debugging". 

It's recommended to try any or all of the following :

•Restart Visual Studio

•Try Running As Administrator (Right-click Visual Studio and choose "Run As Administrator")

•Check for any updates for Visual Studio (Download and install them if any are available)

•Try Opening a Different Solution / Project

If problems persist, you might try the following options :

•Restart your local machine

•Attempt to reset Visual Studio to System Defaults (This can be done from the options within Visual Studio)

•Attempt to Repair your Visual Studio Installation

•Reinstall Visual Studio

Best regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:08 PM

All replies

• User-166373564 posted

Hi,

'The debugger cannot continue running the process. Unable to start debugging". 

It's recommended to try any or all of the following :

•Restart Visual Studio

•Try Running As Administrator (Right-click Visual Studio and choose "Run As Administrator")

•Check for any updates for Visual Studio (Download and install them if any are available)

•Try Opening a Different Solution / Project

If problems persist, you might try the following options :

•Restart your local machine

•Attempt to reset Visual Studio to System Defaults (This can be done from the options within Visual Studio)

•Attempt to Repair your Visual Studio Installation

•Reinstall Visual Studio

Best regards,

Angie

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 9:08 PM
  • User-614851559 posted

Thanks for your response.

I had tried most of your suggestions above and spent many frustrating days wondering if I should even be using VS Community 2015. Was the problem my code or my environment?

Anyway, I came across this blog posting which got me going:

http://proudmonkey.azurewebsites.net/upgrading-existing-asp-net-5-previous-versions-to-beta8/ 

Once I went through all the steps in this blog, everything worked as expected. Hope it helps someone else.

I think my issue was I was using beta3.  In addition, I  did not know how to use the Developer Command Line referred to in other places nor how to run as administrator.

Those kinds of simple details are very helpful, especially to me as a newbie. So thank you!

Friday, November 20, 2015 5:03 AM