none
Traceview to see Sensor Communication USB Logs in WIndows 8/8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a windows 8 tablet with the Sensorhub on it.I want to see the communication between the OS and the SensorHub chip.For this I have installed the WDK for 8.0 and trying to get the logs using the traveceview.For starting the new session it asks  for any these three files :

(1) Binary (Provider Binary File)

(2) PDB (Debug information)

(3) CTL (Control Guid)

I have checked in the usbView tool in the WDK  that the sensor chip is connected via USB with the Host.Now from where I can get these files(Which one is more relevant) to see the communication logs between the Host and the Sensor hub.

I refered this document and found that the :

"HID Sensors Usages :Annotations for Windows HID Sensor Class Driver" and on its Page 229 it loads the pdb file  - SensorHubHidDriver.pdb file .

From where I can get this file or is there any better way to see the communication logs

Thnx

Rp

• Edited by hcktester Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:46 AM
    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:44 AM

Answers

• Symbol files (.PDB) for the operating system and most in-box drivers come from Microsoft's symbol server. Unfortunately, TraceView doesn't use the symbol server, so you'll need to download of the symbols using SymChk or WinDbg. Instructions for doing so are here.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:26 PM

All replies

• Symbol files (.PDB) for the operating system and most in-box drivers come from Microsoft's symbol server. Unfortunately, TraceView doesn't use the symbol server, so you'll need to download of the symbols using SymChk or WinDbg. Instructions for doing so are here.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:26 PM
  • recently i have downloaded a CHK build and along with that i downloaded abcdefgh___X64CHK.Symbols which is a windows installer .I installed it and got some thousands of X.pdb folders .

Now i want to see the logs of the Sensor device .I opened the Traceview came with the WDK of the build and when i try to create a New log session >Add Provider > Tick Radio Button for PDB (debug Information) File and then browse the sensor related .pdb files from the location where all the thousands of symbols have installed(get copied after installtion).

But as soon as I click OK after browsing the pdb file I get this error message box :

PDB file does not contain provider Information.

What wrong i have done ?

Can please someone comment.

Thanks,

Rp

• Edited by hcktester Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:48 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:46 AM