none
Server Manager/IIS won't open on Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone help here ? I'm unable to open windows server manager/IIS/event viewer on fresh windows server 2012.

Nothing happens when click/type and open server manager or IIS.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 11:06 AM

Answers

• Technically I would suggest you to ask in a Technet forum, but anyway...

Can you run "sc query rpcss" and "sc query rpceptmapper" to see if they're running? You may just "Services" in "Administration Tools" and see if "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and "RPC Endpoint Mapper" are running if you can fire it up, but I think possibly you can't because it's also a MMC snap-in.

These two services are not stoppable, but if something goes wrong it can be freezed in "starting" state.

After that you'd probably also want to check if "dcomlauncher" is alive.

======

Btw, you should probably try to run "mmc" then use "Add/Remove snap-in" to add "Server Manager" and see if it's really there first.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:09 AM

All replies

• Could someone please help ? Any suggestions?

Friday, June 21, 2013 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

First please Check if Windows features has Server Manager on.

Then server manager will not run if you are logging on with an account that uses a roaming profile. 
    Use a local account, without a roaming profile, and you will find it works without a hitch.

Here are a article about server manager in window server 2012:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/11/04/introducing-server-manager-in-windows-server-2012.aspx .

If you still can not solved your problem, please try to post your question in Window Server forums:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver .

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards.

Amy Peng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Thanks for your response Amy. I'm able to get to the control panel and programs/feature, but clicking on "Turn windows feature on or off" does nothing either. It doesn't open.

Actually this is a Windows Server 2012 VM running on VMware.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 5:43 AM
  • Technically I would suggest you to ask in a Technet forum, but anyway...

Can you run "sc query rpcss" and "sc query rpceptmapper" to see if they're running? You may just "Services" in "Administration Tools" and see if "Remote Procedure Call (RPC)" and "RPC Endpoint Mapper" are running if you can fire it up, but I think possibly you can't because it's also a MMC snap-in.

These two services are not stoppable, but if something goes wrong it can be freezed in "starting" state.

After that you'd probably also want to check if "dcomlauncher" is alive.

======

Btw, you should probably try to run "mmc" then use "Add/Remove snap-in" to add "Server Manager" and see if it's really there first.

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 7:09 AM