Deploy template so that it appears in user's Templates folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Cindy !
                 I have exactly the same problem, I have been looking around, but din't find an answer, please tell me where can I keep the template so it could be attached to the template folder, what I want is, if a user downloads a template from mysite, he should get the template attached to his templates folder so that it could be visible to him when he starts Word.
    Please, tell me how can I resolve this problem,

Best Regards.

Rashdan
    • Split by Cindy Meister MVP Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:33 PM split from answered thread http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsto/thread/ab2ddc37-7228-49c7-ab72-d55def975f95 for better visibility
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Rashdan

The exact location of a user's Templates folder depends on the version of Word, and whether the corporate administration or the user himself has customized this location. In addition, you have to contend with the problem that the user is downloading the template (the VSTO solution?) from your site, so I'm assuming you are offering the template from outside a corporate environment?

In that case there's probably no way you can put the template in that location, especially not if the user has security restrictions in-place.

Best-practice would, in this scenario, be to instruct the user on how to find the location and to copy the template file there, himself. Or instruct him how to find the location in order to specify this as the download "target" folder (although, for security reasons, in the user's place I probably wouldn't let give you that information.)
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Tuesday, May 5, 2009 4:39 PM