Azure File Share quota notification RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Azure File share with about 650GB of data. What happens when it reaches the quota that i configured at 700GB?

Will I get a notification? What happens exactly? Will the Azure File Sync service stop syncing files from my on-prem fileserver?

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 11:48 AM

Answers

• Once the quota is reached, no new files can be created or existing files increased in size.

There is no notification by default, but you can configure an alert - in the portal, go to the storage account of interest -> Metrics -> New alert rule (upper right). Use the "used space" in the condition of the alert.

Regarding file sync - uploads will start to fail with per-item errors but downloads and recall of ghosted files will continue to work.

If you are not making changes directly to the cloud share (i.e. all data comes from sync), you could also use FSRM to configure quotas on the file server(s) and use the maximum share size in the cloud.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:14 PM
  • Sync’s starts to fail once it’s reached the quota limit.

• You can view your current quotas, usage against those quotas, and request quota increases by logging on to the Azure Portal, selecting your subscription and choosing "Usage and Quotas": Get Alerts as you approach your Azure resource quotas
    • You can set and alert
    • We have the feature called App Service Advisor, which automatically alerts you to issues in your resources. These alerts show up in the portal under the bell button, in the blade in the Azure Portal, under App Service Advisor, and over email.

Here’s the PowerShell that will get it quota details:

$sa = Get-AzStorageAccount -ResourceGroupName "myRG" -StorageAccountName "mySA"
      $share = Get-AzStorageShare -Context $sa.Context -Name "myshare" | ? IsSnapshot -eq $false

Write-Host $share.Properties.Quota

You can also leave a feedback here for Azure Fileshare quota limit <o:p></o:p>

Hope this helps!

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “upvote” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:52 PM

All replies

• Once the quota is reached, no new files can be created or existing files increased in size.

There is no notification by default, but you can configure an alert - in the portal, go to the storage account of interest -> Metrics -> New alert rule (upper right). Use the "used space" in the condition of the alert.

Regarding file sync - uploads will start to fail with per-item errors but downloads and recall of ghosted files will continue to work.

If you are not making changes directly to the cloud share (i.e. all data comes from sync), you could also use FSRM to configure quotas on the file server(s) and use the maximum share size in the cloud.

Hope that helps.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:14 PM
  • Sync’s starts to fail once it’s reached the quota limit.

• You can view your current quotas, usage against those quotas, and request quota increases by logging on to the Azure Portal, selecting your subscription and choosing "Usage and Quotas": Get Alerts as you approach your Azure resource quotas
    • You can set and alert
    • We have the feature called App Service Advisor, which automatically alerts you to issues in your resources. These alerts show up in the portal under the bell button, in the blade in the Azure Portal, under App Service Advisor, and over email.

Here’s the PowerShell that will get it quota details:

$sa = Get-AzStorageAccount -ResourceGroupName "myRG" -StorageAccountName "mySA"
      $share = Get-AzStorageShare -Context $sa.Context -Name "myshare" | ? IsSnapshot -eq $false

Write-Host $share.Properties.Quota

You can also leave a feedback here for Azure Fileshare quota limit <o:p></o:p>

Hope this helps!

Kindly let us know if the above helps or you need further assistance on this issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" and “upvote” on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 4:52 PM