Will I be able to use FlashPlayer control (ActiveX) after December 31, 2020? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a desktop application that embedded a FlashPlayer control (ShockwaveFlashObjects) to play a local SWF file.
    However, the following statement is included in Adobe's announcement of the end of FlashPlayer support

"Users will be prompted by Adobe to uninstall Flash Player on their machines later this year and Flash-based content will be blocked from running in Adobe Flash Player after the EOL Date."

In this case, will I not be able to play the local SWF file in the FlashPlayer control as well?
    Will I be able to continue to use it if I keep rejecting it because it prompts me to uninstall it?

If anyone knows of one, it would be helpful to let me know.

I keep using the old FlashPlayer activex installer and i turn off automatic updates, 
    I hope that I can continue to use it by doing so.
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 4:09 AM

All replies

• My understanding is that even Adobe will not do any development, hotfixes, ... anymore after this time.

The support for Flash will be removed in the Cromium Edge (and also from what I know in the Google Chrome Browser). At the moment the default setting in Chromium Edge is the flash component is deactivated - but it is still on the system. But sooner or later Flash is completely removed. I guess that we are currently in the timespan between full support of Flash and the removal from Flash.

I would check out different possibilities and also do not use flash anymore. Flash is far from state of the art. Even Adobe recognizes that.

My recommendation is checking out a solution without flash, because that will be the future.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:48 AM
  • Hello take_one_k,

Thanks for posting here.

Adobe will end support of Flash Player on December 31, 2020.

Companies reliant on Flash for development and playback of content are encouraged to remove the dependency on Adobe Flash prior to December 2020.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 8:57 AM
  • Also as additional information, the official EOL note published by Adobe:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Since after End of 2020 no patches will be available anymore the usage of Flash is a high risk.

Best regards

Bordon

Note: Posted code pieces may not have a good programming style and may not perfect. It is also possible that they do not work in all situations. Code pieces are only indended to explain something particualar.

Thursday, June 18, 2020 11:39 AM
  • I know that continuing to use it can be dangerous.

What I want to know is what will happen if I launch a desktop application that was using FlashPlayer in ActiveX after December 31, 2020.

1. Do I get an error message saying that ActiveX is not found?
    2. Do you get an exception error?
    3. Will it still play as before?

If the FlashPlayer setting is deleted in IE, will the FlashPlayer ActiveX be deleted as well?
    Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:19 AM
  • It will still work

I use OCX which are ~20 years old (like MSCHART.OCX)

and they still work fine on Windows 10.

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 9:35 AM