Pressing Publish for web app causes VS2012 to crash RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen a few posts about this issue in VS2012 RC. There is no error message and the entire window is frozen. When I look at the project, there are no PublishProfiles. I've tried repairing the Windows Azure SDK to no avail. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

This happens on both existing and new projects. It would be nice if this could be fixed without re-installing VS.

Just to be clear, the Publish Web dialog never shows up.
    • Edited by tofutim Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:06 PM

Answers

• I found the problem. While installing VS2012, I had a second monitor on my laptop. The Publish Web dialog is on the second monitor. This is a bug. When there is only one monitor, the dialog should come back to the first monitor!

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:25 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi E. Timothy Uy,

Thanks for your post.

Can you confirm it is Visual Studio 2012 RC?

RC version is a beta version and no longer supported. Please change to VS2012 RTM instead.

If you have the same problem, please feel free to let me know.

PS: Normally, if you have some errors, please try repair VS from control panel first.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:58 AM
  • Dear Barry,

It isn't. I am using VS Pro 2012 11.0.51106.01 Update 1. On another slower machine, I noticed that a window flashes and then disappears. When I click on the Visual Studio 2012 window, it beeps like there is a modal dialog up.

I did try repair from Control Panel on both VS 2012 and Azure SDK tools to no avail.

VS behaves as if a modal popup is up but there is none to be found. The Window cannot be moved. I also tried Window -> Reset Window Layout, but this did not help.

Thanks,

Tim

• Edited by tofutim Thursday, January 17, 2013 4:38 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:53 PM
  • I believe I did install from the Trial and then activate it. I'll try downloading it directly from MSDN and re-installing.
    • Edited by tofutim Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:57 PM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 3:54 PM
  • I found the problem. While installing VS2012, I had a second monitor on my laptop. The Publish Web dialog is on the second monitor. This is a bug. When there is only one monitor, the dialog should come back to the first monitor!

• Marked as answer by Barry Wang Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:25 AM
    Thursday, January 17, 2013 5:23 PM
  • Hi E.Timothy Uy,

Sorry for the late track.

I'm glad to hear you've found the reason and I would recommend you report this issue on this site:

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio

With regards,

Barry Wang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013 2:25 AM