none
vlookup without false question RRS feed

• Question

• This a strange question. I know VLOOKUP requires you to use FALSE and when you don't you should have them sorted. BUT why is it when I don't use FALSE it seems to throw any random answer back. 

=VLOOKUP(89,A2:C6,3), why does it come back with Simpson? I am trying to understand how the function actually works. Does it always return the last value if it doesn't find it in a jumbled list.

90 Alice Owens
    94 Amy Tooley
    47 Anne Davidson
    8 Barry Bally
    42 Bill Simpson

This table is looking up words

Alice Owens AW48
    Amy Tooley AW59
    Dean Kramer AC49
    Edward Trelly AC27
    Erin Binga AA70
    Esther Williams AW39

=VLOOKUP(Erin,A2:C7,3) but this returns an error

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Yve_Ke_,

What is the reason that you do not want to use the "True"/"False" option in the vlookup?

The Vlookup function helps you to find a certain value,

vlookup(value you looking for;array;column number that should be returned;true (approximate match); false(total match)) this function is used to look for values and give back the value that you want.

I tried your above example, when you will use the false option: =VLOOKUP("Erin";A1:C6;3;0)

you will get answer "AA70".

Regards,

Reshma

Please Vote as Helpful if an answer is helpful and/or Please mark Proposed as Answer or Mark As Answer when question is answered

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:52 PM
  • This a strange question. I know VLOOKUP requires you to use FALSE and when you don't you should have them sorted. BUT why is it when I don't use FALSE it seems to throw any random answer back. 

=VLOOKUP(89,A2:C6,3), why does it come back with Simpson? I am trying to understand how the function actually works. Does it always return the last value if it doesn't find it in a jumbled list.

90 Alice Owens
    94 Amy Tooley
    47 Anne Davidson
    8 Barry Bally
    42 Bill Simpson

Alice Owens AW48
    Amy Tooley AW59
    Dean Kramer AC49
    Edward Trelly AC27
    Erin Binga AA70
    Esther Williams AW39

FALSE will give you an exact match, TRUE will give you an approximate match. TRUE is the default value if the paramter is not specified. I have seen weird results with TRUE. Always explicitly indicate FALSE if you are looking for an exact match.
    Friday, February 27, 2015 12:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Yve_Ke_,

What is the reason that you do not want to use the "True"/"False" option in the vlookup?

The Vlookup function helps you to find a certain value,

vlookup(value you looking for;array;column number that should be returned;true (approximate match); false(total match)) this function is used to look for values and give back the value that you want.

I tried your above example, when you will use the false option: =VLOOKUP("Erin";A1:C6;3;0)

you will get answer "AA70".

Regards,

Reshma

Please Vote as Helpful if an answer is helpful and/or Please mark Proposed as Answer or Mark As Answer when question is answered

Friday, February 27, 2015 12:52 PM

90 Alice Owens
    94 Amy Tooley
    47 Anne Davidson
    8 Barry Bally
    42 Bill Simpson

Alice Owens AW48
    Amy Tooley AW59
    Dean Kramer AC49
    Edward Trelly AC27
    Erin Binga AA70
    Esther Williams AW39

FALSE will give you an exact match, TRUE will give you an approximate match. TRUE is the default value if the paramter is not specified. I have seen weird results with TRUE. Always explicitly indicate FALSE if you are looking for an exact match.
    Friday, February 27, 2015 12:53 PM
  • Hi Yve_Ke_,

This forum is for questions about Excel Development, for example, VBA for Excel, Excel Add-in. Your question is actually about Excel formula, it may be better to post in Excel IT Pro Discussions forum.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 5:35 AM