Dispay orientation stretched

Question

• Previous to installing Windows 8 development preview, I was running W7 Ultimate and the display driver showed all items, gadgets and icons as well as background images in their perspective orientation.( Not looking stretched ) I went to my display to change the resolution, but this had no effect and reading about driver updates, it clearly states that using other drivers would essentially be a waste of time, as the basic display driver was specifically designed for W8. Is there a way to get a more square presentation of the display in all resolution settings?

John Haskins

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:43 PM

All replies

• ..reading about driver updates, it clearly states that using other drivers would essentially be a waste of time, as the basic display driver was specifically designed for W8. 

This just isn't true, John Haskins,
    Microsoft does provide some basic drivers but the responsibility of providing compatible drivers rests with the device manufacturer. So if those provided by MS do not work satisfactorily for you, please go to the device vendors site, download the latest Windows7 or that of an earlier version of Windows drivers, install them, if they do not work, install them in Compatibility Mode. Please read about compatibility mode of installation, it is widely discussed on this forum.

I presume you have already tried Fill, Fit, Stretch and Center options for optimizing desktop backgrounds via right clicking on Desktop and selecting Personalize?

Irfan

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Thank you Mark, but I went to Dells driver download site and downloaded the current update display driver and the error message stated that dell does not support the current operating system. As for the Fill, Stretch, etc in personalize, those features are not available or are not listed and may not be visible or hidden. It only allows portrait and landscape and resolution changes which there are only three listed. I am tempted to install the monitor display adapter that originally came with My Dell Acer monitor, but even the onboard monitor adjustments have no immediate effect in correcting the stretch image problem on my desktop and strangely, I have W8 installed on my laptop and all images are completely correct in it's appearance. I think I should just leave it as it is for now until I can do the compatibility process to see if that can correct my problem as you suggested.

John Haskins

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:09 PM
  • Hi jhaskins75,

Please try to install the downloaded driver in Compatibility Mode as described on the link.

Right click on Desktop, select Personalize, click on Desktop Background, then under Picture position you get the Fill, Fit, Stretch options. Try each, one by one, see if it helps.

Irfan

You may also try uninstalling AVG antivirus, it's not required in WDP. WDP comes with a built in AV, antispyware and unwanted program protection program called Windows Defender.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Thank you, I will do this after i getback in from work..

John Haskins

Sunday, February 26, 2012 7:18 PM