What are the input requirements for windows 8 metro games?

Question

• I do enjoy a lot of touch games on my Windows Phone, but the game I am developing now I really feel should be controlled with a gamepad or a keyboard.  I don't really think touch would control well for this game.  Can I make this game as a metro app and sell it in the windows store or must these apps provide support for touch controls?  I know with Windows 8 we might not always have a touch screen but other times, like on a tablet, we might only have a touch screen. 

What are the input requirements for windows 8 metro games?  Are there certain input types that must be supported?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 2:41 PM

Answers

• Certification requirement 3.5 requires:

Your app must fully support touch input as well as keyboard and mouse input. Customers must also be able to access all of your app's functionality using only touch interactions.

There is no exemption mentioned for games, and as you say it would be very frustrating for users to download a game they couldn't play.

I usually put a game controller control (such as a joystick) on the screen so the player doesn't need to attach a keyboard or other physical controller. You can provide a setting to hide the virtual controller if the user has and prefers a physical controller.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by devRT Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:19 PM
    Owner

All replies

• AFAIK, there are no input requirements for games.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 6:26 PM
  • Well, if the user buys the game from the Windows Store on their Windows 8 tablet (which only has touch input) and the game only supports gamepad or keyboard, the user is going to get upset that the game doesn't work for them.  What can we do to prevent this type of situation?  I am imagining the Windows Store is going to be similar to the Windows Phone marketplace, and users are going to expect anything they purchase there to work on their device.  What is the best way to handle this?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:13 PM
  • I'll ask if we have a scenario around this.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Certification requirement 3.5 requires:

Your app must fully support touch input as well as keyboard and mouse input. Customers must also be able to access all of your app's functionality using only touch interactions.

There is no exemption mentioned for games, and as you say it would be very frustrating for users to download a game they couldn't play.

I usually put a game controller control (such as a joystick) on the screen so the player doesn't need to attach a keyboard or other physical controller. You can provide a setting to hide the virtual controller if the user has and prefers a physical controller.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by devRT Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:18 PM
    Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:19 PM
    Owner