Second window opens when starting Excel: "AutomationHiddenForm" RRS feed

• Question

• Not sure what I did to accomplish this, but when opening existing Excel files, a small window opens alongside Excel. It is called "AutomationHiddenForm," but the window is completely empty.

Screenshot:

http://astutefinancial.biz/images/Astute/AutomationHiddenForm.jpg

In task manager is it listed as a separate application but it points to the excel.exe process.

I do not get this window when simply starting the Excel application on its own (not through double-clicking on a pre-existing Excel file).

I've checked in my VB and macros and cannot find anything that would cause this.

Any help is appreciated. Just let me know if you need more information than I've provided here.

Thank you!

• Edited by E. J. Santi Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:40 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:40 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>> In task manager is it listed as a separate application but it points to the excel.exe process. I do not get this window when simply starting the Excel application on its own (not through double-clicking on a pre-existing Excel file). <<

As far as I know, there is no such feature named “AutomationHiddenForm” in Excel. As you said, it is a separate application in task manager. So I think it may be a custom windows form application or user form.

When you start the Excel application on its own and then add a new workbook or open an existed workbook, will the form be opened? I assume there may be an custom Add-in with a windows form loaded in your Excel, the windows form will be opened when a workbook opened.

In a word, I’m not sure about how you checked in your VB and macros, so I suggest you checking all add-ins and COM add-ins in the Add-Ins group of Developer tab as followed. You could disable the enabled add-ins one by one to check which one causes the issue.

If it cannot help you, I think you could try to uninstall your Excel application and install it again to avoid this issue since a new Excel application will load no custom add-in.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by E. J. Santi Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:29 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>> In task manager is it listed as a separate application but it points to the excel.exe process. I do not get this window when simply starting the Excel application on its own (not through double-clicking on a pre-existing Excel file). <<

As far as I know, there is no such feature named “AutomationHiddenForm” in Excel. As you said, it is a separate application in task manager. So I think it may be a custom windows form application or user form.

When you start the Excel application on its own and then add a new workbook or open an existed workbook, will the form be opened? I assume there may be an custom Add-in with a windows form loaded in your Excel, the windows form will be opened when a workbook opened.

In a word, I’m not sure about how you checked in your VB and macros, so I suggest you checking all add-ins and COM add-ins in the Add-Ins group of Developer tab as followed. You could disable the enabled add-ins one by one to check which one causes the issue.

If it cannot help you, I think you could try to uninstall your Excel application and install it again to avoid this issue since a new Excel application will load no custom add-in.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by E. J. Santi Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:29 PM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 9:50 AM
  • You're right, it was as simple as an add-in. Should have checked that earlier but just didn't think of it.

Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:28 PM