none
Buy and Install MS Visual Foxpro 9. RRS feed

• Question

• I need to Download and Install MS Visual FoxPro 9. I can't find an install anywhere.

Any idea how I go about buying and installing this thing? Many Thanks.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 2:35 PM

Answers

• It's not sold as a stand-alone product anymore. You can get it wish some MSDN subscriptions. You may also be able to buy it bundled with Visual Extend here: https://store.forwardthinkingsoftware.com/Catalog/Tools

Tamar

Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:31 PM
  • Visual Studio 2017 Professional with MSDN offers much more than VFX+VFP for the price similar to the bundle. Of course, you don't get VFX in MSDN.

The best thing Microsoft could do is to make VFP open source...

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:06 AM

All replies

• It's not sold as a stand-alone product anymore. You can get it wish some MSDN subscriptions. You may also be able to buy it bundled with Visual Extend here: https://store.forwardthinkingsoftware.com/Catalog/Tools

Tamar

Thursday, August 9, 2018 8:31 PM
  • Visual Studio 2017 Professional with MSDN offers much more than VFX+VFP for the price similar to the bundle. Of course, you don't get VFX in MSDN.

The best thing Microsoft could do is to make VFP open source...

Friday, August 10, 2018 10:06 AM
  • It may appeal to make VFP OpenSource as it could become something that might survive in the modern development world by adding new needed features by dedicated developers. But that would contradict with Microsofts plans for their .net based development platform.

Therefore, I don't have any expections in this direction.

However....making VFP downloadable for free without licensing, like M$ did with Expression Web, would be a nice step and wouldn't interfere with future plans.

JM2C

Gruss / Best regards
    -Tom
    Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place.
    Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible,
    you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. 010101100100011001010000011110000101001001101111011000110110101101110011

Friday, August 10, 2018 11:59 AM
  • "VFP downloadable for free without licensing" … it exists in China already.

VFP as open source cannot beat .NET or SQL Server and in fact I don't understand what is Microsoft protecting in years old VFP source code today... VFP did not change since ver 6 significantly. Yes, we have newer VFP report and SQL engines but they are also old enough today.

The biggest problem for MSFT would be "VFP community edition" much more stable than any .NET product or than MS Access... But each significant data processing application needs SQL engine at the back end and this can never be VFP. Or it could be but with enormous effort. Or it could be MySQL... which MSFT does not like so much probably... but MySQL can also be used with .NET apps.

OTOH, who knows what I would do if I bought FoxPro for $150mio … :-)

Sunday, August 12, 2018 3:20 PM