none
WinForms vs WPF vs Windows Store? RRS feed

• Question

• Our main apps for years have been WinForms at our company.  But now we have to write a new app that will run on Windows 8 Pro tablets (they will not be RT tablets because we need the rugged kind like Panasonic ToughPad and I believe they are only Pro anyway).  This new app will be internal to our company.

So, should we write it in (tried-and-true) WinForms, WPF, or Windows Store?

Is WinForms dying technology so we should avoid it (even though we know it very well)?  We’ll also (in the future) likely be writing apps for handheld devices.  We’d prefer they not be phones but still have GPS, so they might have to be phones.  So is that yet a whole new/other type of app (Windows Phone)?

As you can see, trying to figure out what platform we should use now and heading into the future.  I tried a test Windows Store app and it seems not possible to deploy easily so that users cab pick up updates (doesn't have ClickOnce like WinForms).  Not sure if WPF has that.

Thanks for any advice.

• Edited by fiverc Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:53 PM
    Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hard to say without knowing the requirements of the app.  If you are looking for the app to use a touch interface the Windows Store apps have an advantage.

If you want to access a sql server from the app without using a service layer look at windows forms or wpf.  I prefer wpf to windows forms but  that is my preference

Saturday, November 2, 2013 4:58 PM