.NET 3.5.1 Not Working Properly

Question

• I've upgraded my Windows 7 Home Premium install with the Win 8 DP via the Connect site.  I previously had .NET 3.5.1 installed and it shows "enabled" in the control panel "Turn Windows Features On/Off" dialog, but some of my apps that use .NET 3.5.1 don't work.  That is Windows thinks the app is requesting that .NET 3.5.1 be enabled and Windows seems to successfully complete that step, but the app never gets past that point.  Every time I go to fire up the application Windows asks to enable .NET 3.5.1.

I have tried disabling the .NET 3.5.1 framework and then re-enabling it, but that didn't change anything.

There is no install disc as I installed the DP via the internet and the connect site.  I have also tried manually downloading 3.5.1 SP1 but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• rliden,

Have you tried a refresh to see if this alleviates your problem?

To do a refresh of your machine then please do the following:

1. Click Start > Control Panel

2. Select the General section on the left

3. Click the “Get started” button under “Refresh your PC without affecting your files”.

4. Click the Next button at the “Refresh your PC” step of the wizard.

· This first step of the wizard is shown in a green strip that covers the middle portion of the screen.

· The description text at this step shows the following:

Here’s what will happen:

· Your files and personalization settings won’t change.

· Your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.

· Apps from Windows Store will be kept. All other apps will be removed.

5. Insert the USB key or DVD with the Windows installation files if prompted.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Insert your Windows installation or recovery media

· Some files are missing. The media will provide these files.

· As soon as you insert the media, the wizard automatically moves to the next step.

6. Click the Refresh button at the “Ready to refresh your PC” step.

· This description text at this step shows the following:

Your PC will restart. This will take a few minutes.

At this point, the PC will restart and the Push Button Reset process will take over. Once completed, your PC will reboot and the user will be left at the Lock Screen where they can log back in with their existing user account.

“When you reset your PC your personal files and apps will be removed and your PC settings will be restored to their defaults.”

Please post back with the results

Thanks,

Chris
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:13 PM
  • I have tried both the "refresh" and the "reset" multiple times. Neither have allowed me to install the .NET 3.5.

I'm really starting to get frusterated. I've even tried to download the offline installer but that didn't work.

I keep getting an error of 0x800F081F - The changes could not be completed. Please reboot your computer and try again.

Thanks,
    Bobby Cannon
    http://sharpdeck.net
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:26 PM
  • http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/a6f521a5-8a1d-428d-8ce9-7fccf627784c

Thanks Andre, I've been looking for the answer to this ever since the BUILD build came out.

Yours is the simplest solution for those struggling behind a corporate firewall that needs authentication, or if you are offline.

Command line is (assuming DVD is D drive -- on Win 8 Client ensure command prompt is elevated):

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /Source:d:\sources\sxs

Thanks,
    Bobby Cannon
    http://sharpdeck.net
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 3:13 PM