User personalizable anouncements RRS feed

• Question

• I need to give users the possibility to hide announcements.

We have an announcement webpart but some users want to hide irrelevent items.

The items must be hidden only for themselves and not for other users. Is there a way to accomplish this goal?

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:06 AM

Answers

• This could be done, but would require the creation of a custom web part.  You can use audiences to filter announcments proactively, but that needs to be setup by an admin and works for groups of people with similar characteristics.  To let users hide individual announcements themselves you need somewhere to store those choices and a way to apply them.  That's not available in the oob components.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

• Marked as answer by RupertHarris Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:11 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Paul is write, you have to create a custom web part. You could create a custom list that manages multiple web part in the farm. Your custom web part could just read from this list and decide what to do.

You would also need to create an option for the individual to hide and show the webpart  

Philip

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:46 PM

All replies

• This could be done, but would require the creation of a custom web part.  You can use audiences to filter announcments proactively, but that needs to be setup by an admin and works for groups of people with similar characteristics.  To let users hide individual announcements themselves you need somewhere to store those choices and a way to apply them.  That's not available in the oob components.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Can they not use the "Personalize this page"?.

Heather Waterman SharePoint Desginer www.heatherwaterman.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Paul is write, you have to create a custom web part. You could create a custom list that manages multiple web part in the farm. Your custom web part could just read from this list and decide what to do.

You would also need to create an option for the individual to hide and show the webpart  

Philip

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:46 PM
  • Strike my response, I didn't see the items part, I thought it was the whole web part.

Heather Waterman SharePoint Desginer www.heatherwaterman.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:11 PM
  • Thank you all.

Not the answer i hoped for, but i know what to do now.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:11 PM