none
Get Word Shapes into MS Paint? RRS feed

Answers

• Word's autoshapes are vector objects, whereas Paint works only with raster objects (bitmaps). Although you could copy an autoshape that you've inserted into a Word document, then paste the copy into Paint, want you'd end up with there is a rasterised version of the original vector object. The immediate result of this is that the pasted shape would no longer perform the same way as an autoshape in Word. For example, lines would change thickness as you re-scale the object in Paint and, at large increases in rescaling, would become noticeably jagged.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by old_School Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:37 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi old_School,

I'd like to confirm:
    1.  Do you want to make a Word macro?
    2.  How many shapes in a Word document?
    3.  If more than one shape are in a document, how to layout them in MS Paint screen?
    4.  Provide your Word version, 2007, 2010....2016

Regards,

Ashidacchi

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 10:33 PM
  • Hi old_School,

Do you want to do this by VBA? Office did not provide such function directly. You could use Shell function to open MS Paint and Sendkeys function to simulate Ctrl+V for pasting the shape into MS Paint as workaround. Please note, shape will be a simple picture after moving to paint.

Here is the example.

Sub DAS()

ThisDocument.Shapes(2).Select

Selection.Copy

Shell "MSpaint", vbMaximizedFocus

Start = Timer

PauseTime = 2

Do While Timer < Start + PauseTime

DoEvents

Loop

SendKeys ("^v")

End Sub

Best Regards,

Terry

Thursday, August 10, 2017 7:48 AM
  • In Microsoft word it has only a few shapes to choose from but in Microsoft Word is has a large list of shapes to choose from to add. I want to expand my list of shapes in MS Paint to include the shapes that comes with Microsoft Word. Can I do that?
    Friday, September 1, 2017 2:27 PM
  • Word's autoshapes are vector objects, whereas Paint works only with raster objects (bitmaps). Although you could copy an autoshape that you've inserted into a Word document, then paste the copy into Paint, want you'd end up with there is a rasterised version of the original vector object. The immediate result of this is that the pasted shape would no longer perform the same way as an autoshape in Word. For example, lines would change thickness as you re-scale the object in Paint and, at large increases in rescaling, would become noticeably jagged.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by old_School Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:37 PM
    Friday, September 1, 2017 10:41 PM