How do I enable presentation mode or do not disturb in C++? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm hunting for a way to enable presentation mode like PowerPoint or do not disturb like Skype for a game.

We are encountering popups, notifications, etc that interfere with gameplay and ideally would like to provide a gameplay option to be able to suspend them while the player is in matches.

Thank you,

Brent 

Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:04 PM

All replies

• I searched for presentation mode PowerPoint and found Presentation Mode in Vista | Kirk Evans Blog. I don't know if that is relevant.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Thursday, May 31, 2018 7:45 PM
  • You can disable notifications (toasts) with the NOC_GLOBAL_SETTING_TOASTS_ENABLED value

(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Notifications\Settings)

• Proposed as answer by Baron Bi Friday, June 1, 2018 6:03 AM
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:05 PM
  • Yes, I found this too. It was for querying the state as opposed to setting it.
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:16 PM
  • Hmm, that might work. I'm concerned about crashes or the process being terminated resulting in the setting being left on. 
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:17 PM
  • I think what would be particularly useful is if it was associated with something so that the state lasts only as long as what it is associated with is running. So in the situation of a crash or having the process killed, it doesn't leave the player's PC in a state other than intended.

It would be good to have it follow the pattern of pushing and popping state so that the previous state is unchanged no matter what it is.

* The process - useful as if the process goes away then the setting could be restored

* The window handle - this seems compelling as things like window minimize/hide/etc could be used to enable alerts again (since the window isn't up--could potentially specify these semantics on creation so the OS can handle it :) )

Monday, June 4, 2018 2:49 PM