Visual Studio 2011 Error on design opening

Question

• hello,

when i want to open the form designer for a metro app i get this error:

System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException
    [10552] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IIsolationDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String assemblyCodeBase, String typeName)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateDesignerViewInfo(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationTokenSource cancelSource)
       at Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass1b.<CreateDesigner>b__19()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Friday, March 02, 2012 9:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

did you get the above error with the //Build/ conference developer preview or Visual Studio 11 Beta?  Does this happen with any WPF or Metro application?  For example, if you create a new metro application, open a Metro Blank Application, open Blankpage.xaml.

much appreciated,

mike

Friday, March 02, 2012 11:25 PM
  • I got this in Visual Studio Beta 2011
    and i got it with all the forms (metro, wpf)

Friday, March 02, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Hi,

Can you try following steps and let me know if these work for you?

1. Create a C# Grid Metro Application

2. Build and Run

This will help us understand if this issue is specific to designer or a general setup issue where you are not able to run your applications. You can share more details with me at navits at microsoft dot com.

Thanks !!!

-Navit Saxena

Saturday, March 03, 2012 3:27 AM
  • Hi,

i can build and run the C#app

but i just can't open the designer (to add buttons or anything)

it says : Loading Designer then the error i've shown above

Saturday, March 03, 2012 9:29 PM
  • I have the same trouble...

I also try to reinstall the VS11Express(and ultimate version) and window8 x64(and x32) version,but still can't solve ....

as you say,i can build a new metro app,also run it in vs11,but can't show the designer and add some controls.

我只愿面朝大海,春暖花开……

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Hi there,

Could you please get in touch with me at unnir at Microsoft dot com, and I can try to help?

Thanks,
    Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 7:07 AM
  • System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException
    [4400] 设计器进程意外终止!
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.ProcessDomainFactory.ProcessIsolationDomain.Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IIsolationDomain.CreateInstance(String assemblyName, String assemblyCodeBase, String typeName)
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.Initialize()
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.CreateInstance[T](Type type)
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolatedExportProvider.Initialize()
       在 Microsoft.VisualStudio.ExpressionHost.Services.VSIsolationService.CreateExportProvider(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, ICatalogFactory catalogFactory, IExportFilter filter)
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.Isolation.IsolationService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget)
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateLease(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, DesignerServiceEntry& entry)
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.CreateDesignerViewInfo(IIsolationTarget isolationTarget, IHostSourceItem item, IHostTextEditor editor, CancellationTokenSource cancelSource)
       在 Microsoft.Expression.DesignHost.IsolatedDesignerService.<>c__DisplayClass1b.<CreateDesigner>b__19()
       在 System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
       在 System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

I got this error

我只愿面朝大海,春暖花开……

Sunday, March 04, 2012 9:02 AM
  • Hi there,

It looks like (at least in a couple of these cases) that you might be running a localized version of VS or Windows.

In order for us to reproduce this problem, could you please send us links to the exact build of Windows 8 and VS that you have installed on these machines?

Thanks!

Unni

Unni Ravindranathan, Program Manager, Microsoft Expression This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:11 PM
  • HI,

yes ,as you say,I was setup the chinese language version(zh-cn).

the window8 link:http://iso.esd.microsoft.com/WCPDL/BD1B8A49393E30CC9C4E5C88457D73E964F1F3B18/Windows8-ConsumerPreview-64bit-ChineseSimplified.iso

the vs11 link:http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/6/2/86286CE6-ED2F-433A-9CFF-1AF84A3D2566/win8express_full.exe

thanks all

我只愿面朝大海,春暖花开……

Monday, March 05, 2012 9:08 AM
  • I have similar problem.
    "[4828] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!" (4828 instead of 10552)

I'v installed English version Windows 8 ConsumerPreivew, set Location at Taiwan (Chinese Traditional), and install English version VS11.

I'v tried to set System Locale (NonUnicode) to English, and other option to English, still got the message.

(
    Create c# Grid Metro Application,
    Build and Run ok,
    Open "GroupeDetailPage.xaml", got " [4828] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!"
    Open "ItemDetailPage.xaml", got "[2124] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!"
    Open "GroupedItemsPage.xaml", got "[2540] Designer process terminated unexpectedly!"
    )

• Edited by ec-Updated Wednesday, March 07, 2012 5:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 4:49 AM
  • hi, I have the same problem

I use windows 8 DP with system locale set to Chinese simplified, the xaml designer in my vs 11 express for win8 always throws this annoying exception, so I cannot use the designer and the intellisense doesn't work!

I've tried the solution discussed here(http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithnativecode/thread/79e1ebb4-4cd8-4508-bdab-c37f435b32e9), it DOESN'T work for me

I hope Microsoft could solve this issue ASAP, its really annoying!

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 9:40 AM
  • Hi,

I was setup the chinese language version as you did, and I got the same question.And the worse is,when i run the sample from the dev center i will got error.Did you ever face this problem? 

thanks

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 12:11 PM
  • We think that most of the issues are because of the issue and workaround described here. Can you please take a look and let us know?

http://blendinsider.com/xaml/known-issue-xaml-designer-in-visual-studio-11-beta-crashes-on-launch-2012-03-07/

Thanks,
    Unni

• Proposed as answer by ec-Updated Wednesday, March 07, 2012 11:55 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bob_Bao Tuesday, April 10, 2012 3:40 AM
    Wednesday, March 07, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Thanks it worked
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 8:03 AM
  • On my computer,this problem only occured in a solution,it is ok in other solutions.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:58 AM