Currency issues - Swedish to English version RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have designed a database using the Swedish 32 bit version of Access 2016.

For fields with currency I set Format Property to "Valuta" (Swedish version default for Currency).

But when I move from my laptop to a German computer, running Access 2016 32 bit English version the Form Property for the same "curreny field" change from expected Currency to #.##0,00" kr";-#.##0,00" kr".

I then have to manually change it back from #.##0,00" kr";-#.##0,00" kr" to Currency and it takes time - hours.

Why is that. Can it be avoid?

Best // Peter Forss Stockholm GMT +1.00

Friday, March 23, 2018 7:13 AM

Answers

• Hi Ken

I found this article and help at EverythingAccess.com The hassle

Good news from year 2009 :-)

I have tried it and it works! Thanks to Wayne Phillips !!

As Format for fields containing a value you want to display as Currency on the local computer - add "UserCurrency"

Put this code in a standard module:

Public Sub FixUpCurrencyControls(ByRef FormOrReport As Object)

Dim Ctrl As Access.Control

For Each Ctrl In FormOrReport.Controls

If TypeOf Ctrl Is TextBox Then

If Ctrl.Format = """UserCurrency""" Then

Ctrl.Format = "Currency"

End If

End If

Next

End Sub

And then in your form/report, use the OnOpen event to call our subroutine:

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
        Call FixUpCurrencyControls(Me)
    End Sub

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Again

After manually changed the German/English version from #.##0,00" kr";-#.##0,00" kr" to "Currency" I loaded it back to my Swedish version.

Now the Format Property is "Euro" although my settings in Windows is "kr" (that's SEK = Swedish Krona)

Friday, March 23, 2018 12:52 PM
  • Hello PorssPeterNova,

>>Form Property for the same "curreny field" change from expected Currency to #.##0,00" kr";-#.##0,00" kr"

Does the actual value format changed? What's the result if you install a Swedish language package for your office?

Would the currency field show as expected currency "Valuta"?

Best Regards,

Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 9:50 AM
  • Why is that. Can it be avoid?

Hi Peter,

Not an answer to your "Why", alas.

Since we changed from DFL to EUR, I would loose all my historic DFL-notations, when I move to the new currency symbol.

That is why I don't use any default Currency formatting any more, but add the right currency symbol (and number or digits) when necessary: no problems any more with any currency!

Imb.

• Edited by Imb-hb Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:13 AM default added
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:11 AM
  • Hi Imb

Thanks for your reply. 

I thought that MS Access Format Property "Currency" would make moving my database easier between countries. That "Currency" would use Windows currency symbol automatically. Perhaps the intention has been so, but it does not work.

With the help of V-Tools deep search, I have successfully failed to search - #. ## 0.00 "kr"; - #. ## 0.00 "kr" - and then replace that string with "Currency" or "Euro".

Do you possibly have any code for this? To change Format Properties in Forms respectively and in Reports?

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 10:59 AM
  • I thought that MS Access Format Property "Currency" would make moving my database easier between countries.
    I used to think that too, but I was told by someone (of far greater experience than me) in another forum that setting the Format property to 'Currency' is designed to retain the currency symbol of the system in which the database was created.  Your experience would seem to confirm that.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:25 AM
  • Hi Terry

Working on your idea. Will come back

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:47 AM
  • Hi Ken

I found this article and help at EverythingAccess.com The hassle

Good news from year 2009 :-)

I have tried it and it works! Thanks to Wayne Phillips !!

As Format for fields containing a value you want to display as Currency on the local computer - add "UserCurrency"

Put this code in a standard module:

Public Sub FixUpCurrencyControls(ByRef FormOrReport As Object)

Dim Ctrl As Access.Control

For Each Ctrl In FormOrReport.Controls

If TypeOf Ctrl Is TextBox Then

If Ctrl.Format = """UserCurrency""" Then

Ctrl.Format = "Currency"

End If

End If

Next

End Sub

And then in your form/report, use the OnOpen event to call our subroutine:

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
        Call FixUpCurrencyControls(Me)
    End Sub

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:22 PM
  • Terry

I found a good solution at EverythingAccess.com, please take a look at my text below.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Do you possibly have any code for this? To change Format Properties in Forms respectively and in Reports?

Hi Peter,

I have code to search all my (100+) applications for the occurance of (multiple) text-strings in the general modules. On this moment I am extending the "search engine" to find what is used for instance as third parameter in certain procedure(s).

I have not invested in searching forms or reports. I have only a few forms designed. These are standarized forms, used throughout all applications. They do not contain any formatting, because that is done - if necessary - on the moment that a control is assigned to a field.

I do not use Reports. Instead I generate rtf-code to do reporting. The number of this kind of reports is diminishing however. More and more I go to dynamic forms instead of reports, that are generated by a few routines in a general modules. Nice thing about general modules is that they can be stored in a library database, referenced by all applications.

Imb.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Hi Imb

Thanks for helping. I understand what you write, but dont understand how you are doing it :-)
    You have skills far beyond mine.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 1:15 PM
  • Thanks for helping. I understand what you write, but dont understand how you are doing it :-)
    You have skills far beyond mine.

Hi Peter,

Everyone his own speciality: I can't brew beer, though I like it very much, especiually the brown bock-beers.

The systematics I use are grown more or less spontanuously (I know, it is an understatement) based on needs that were not available in Access (the problem with different currencies, or to capitalize the first character of a word, but when it start with "ij" both must be capitalized).

But most was the result of building application 2,3,4,... through copy/paste where the maintenance became a problem. I experienced that (normalized) structure in code is as important as normalized structure in data.

If you happen to be in the neighbourhood, please pass by for a demonstration. Or perhaps I can visit Stockholm some day because of a half marathon.

Imb.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:40 PM
  • Hi Imb

It's a deal. If you come to Stockholm. Please let me know. We can have some beer and a talk about the methods you use.

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 5:02 PM