none
Report Viewer Control does not diplay any export options. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Softies,

After much effort I have been able to create my report with an object data source only to find that when I run the report there are no export options and no dropdown, The export label is visible but dimmed / disabled. My report options are set to ShowExportControls = True, ExportContentDisposition=OnlyHtmlInline. I have also tried AlwaysAttachment and AlwaysInLine which have not made a difference.

Can someone in Microsoft Land tell me how to get the export options to show.

Additional info the report control is displayed in an ASP.Net form with ProcessingMode = Local.

Any Help will be appreciated.

Regards,

MannyB 

Monday, August 6, 2007 2:54 PM

Answers

• Ok, I have worked out exactly what the problem was.

The master page was using a CSS style sheet which had the following declaration:

SELECT

{

font-size: 8pt;

font-family: Verdana;

width: 100%;

height: 19px;

border: 1px solid #7b9ebd;

}

The offending line is width:100%; assigned to SELECT.

If width is in pixels not percent, then there is no problem. So I guess the way this ReportViewer control works is the width of the control is assigned dynamically at runtime depending on the text to display in the drop down.

Maybe the drop down is within a table cell which has no width in the first place. So 100% of nothing is still nothing.

I'm glad i've got this sorted out, i've spent at least a day working on this.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:16 AM

All replies

•  

Have you determined that there is any relationship between having an object data source and your issue?

What is the caching situation?   See here: http://sandbox.manning.com/message.jspa?messageID=49889#49889  -- there are a number of different factors involved, apparently, and different people had to use different solutions in this thread. I don't offhand see why object data source would be one of factors, though...

>L<

Monday, August 6, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks for you prompt response. I have not determined any correlation between my object data source and my exporting. I am going to investigate the Caching solution now, however most people on the link you provided seem to be running against a Reporting Services server. I will report back once I investigate the cache issue.

Regards,

Manny Bonet

Monday, August 6, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

There is nothing in my web.config nor any headers added to IIS to disable client cache. Any suggestions? Also my "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" IE setting is unchecked. 

Regards,

MB

Monday, August 6, 2007 4:30 PM
  • Well, first of all, you do know that export capabilities are limited in local mode, right?  That the reportviewer-hosted rendering code doesn't know about the same rendering extensions as server?  (I think you said that the *whole* thing is disabled, I'm just making sure)

1. Do you see the "select a format" drop down control?  Is it enabled?
    2. If you select a format does the "Export" button enable?
    3. If you right-click on the surface of the reportviewer control, do you see the "Export to Microsoft Excel" option on the context menu ?

>L<

Monday, August 6, 2007 4:39 PM
  •  

Lisa,

Yes I understand the limitation is Microsoft Excel and pdf in local mode. I have zero export options.

1) There is no select a format dropdown.

2) The Export button/link is there but disabled

3) Yes the "Export to MIcrosoft Excel" Context menu is there, but it is there on most pages which have table formatted data. 

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Regards,

Manny Bonet

Monday, August 6, 2007 5:01 PM
  •  

Did any of the other options related to security in the thread I pointed you at ring a bell?  In other words:

* --  is impersonation involved? 

* -- Are you using SSL?

I suppose neither of those is likely or you would have gleaned the connection from that thread, and I'm sorry that this is difficult... 

The only other things I can think of are things like this:

* --  maybe you are missing one or more DLLs that would be required as handlers for the designated output target types in the installation on the reportviewer-hosting server?

* -- maybe they are there but there is some permissions issue with (say) creating the temp files that they might create while processing the export output types?

I have not seen a situation where the "select a format" dropdown was just plain missing <s> --  So I'm imagining that some issue of configuration or installation for the control under ASP.NET is at fault here.

>L<

Monday, August 6, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

Impersonation is not involved the application runs under the identity of the IIS pool. This identity is set to a trusted subsystem user AD Account which is also the trusted user for database access.

I am using SSL currently for my ActiveDirectoryProvider communicating with ADAM (port 636) but not for regular http traffic (port 80) .

Really you shouldn't apologize unless of course you are the product manager for the ReportViewer control in which case apology is accepted Smile. I really don't know where to begin looking based on your description of other possible scenarios I might have to give up report viewer control altogether.

The missing dll scenario is not likely since I am testing on my own development box (XP Pro) running IIS Local and the machine config process identity is set to use my credentials.

Let me know if you can think of anything else.

Regards,

MB

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:07 PM
  • If the machine config process identity is set to use your own credentials, do your credentials have the rights to wherever the reportviewer wants to put tenp files are going (for example I suppose it might be: c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\ or C:\Windows\Temp directory I guess could be it)?

I am asking this because of this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1793162&SiteID=1 and the one it points to http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=546347&SiteID=1 .  It seems that the ReportViewer might be a bit sticky about where it puts its temp files.

And once again I am sorry.  I am not apologizing because I think this is my fault (full disclosure: I have worked for Microsoft as a vendor but not for this team!), but because it is perplexing and frustrating for you.  And because I will be sorry if we can't solve it and you give up the ReportViewer because of this!

>L<

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Hello, I have been having this exact same issue.

It is nothing to do with security etc etc.

There is no drop-down, and the Export Link is there, but disabled.

I have determined the cause behind this at least in my case.

Our organisation uses a Master Template page which somehow stuffs up the Export Options - possibly some java-script confict?

But anyway, if I create a blank page without the template and stick a ReportViewer control on the page that loads a blank report, the Export options show correctly.

However, if I do exactly the same thing but instead use a new page based on the Master Template, the Export Options go Missing!

Still trying to figure out how to solve this, but at least I know what it is now.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:46 AM
  • Well, this at least I might actually know something about <g>.

What is the doctype in your master page?

>L<

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:58 AM
  • Ok, I have worked out exactly what the problem was.

The master page was using a CSS style sheet which had the following declaration:

SELECT

{

font-size: 8pt;

font-family: Verdana;

width: 100%;

height: 19px;

border: 1px solid #7b9ebd;

}

The offending line is width:100%; assigned to SELECT.

If width is in pixels not percent, then there is no problem. So I guess the way this ReportViewer control works is the width of the control is assigned dynamically at runtime depending on the text to display in the drop down.

Maybe the drop down is within a table cell which has no width in the first place. So 100% of nothing is still nothing.

I'm glad i've got this sorted out, i've spent at least a day working on this.

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:16 AM
  • Awesome that you figured it out. Kudos, man. And thanks for taking the time to report back with this!

>.

<<

That is practically a line from my favorite TV show (Firefly)... even more awesome...

>L<

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:21 AM
  • No Problem!

Firefly has got to be one of my favorite shows too Big Smile
    Thursday, January 24, 2008 11:57 AM
  • I was also facing the same problem. the solution suggested by you is working in my case. Thanks for you valuable reply
    Binay Tiwari For Classic ASP http://classicactiveserverpages.blogspot.com/
    Friday, July 30, 2010 10:50 AM