How to Export the contents for each single row of the Webgrid to PDF in MVC Application RRS feed

• Question

• User-1453200658 posted

Hi there,

I would like to provide to my users with the ability to export the contents for each single row of the WebGrid MVC ASP NET to a PDF file using the free PDF library, iTextSharp.

This is the Complete View

@model List<MVCExportWebgrid.CustomerInfo>
    @{
        ViewBag.Title = "Index";
        var grid = new WebGrid(source: Model, canPage: false);
    }

@* Here I will add some css for Looks webgrid better *@

<style type="text/css">
        table.gridtable {
         font-family: verdana,arial,sans-serif;
         font-size:11px;
         color:#333333;
         border-width: 1px;
         border-color: #666666;
         border-collapse: collapse;
        }
        table.gridtable th {
         padding: 8px;
         border-style: solid;
         background-color: #dedede;
        }
        table.gridtable td {
         padding: 8px;
         border-style: solid;
         background-color: #ffffff;
        }
    </style>

<h2>Customer Info</h2>
    <div>
        @grid.GetHtml(
        tableStyle:"gridtable",
        columns:grid.Columns(
                grid.Column("CustomerID","Customer ID"),
                grid.Column("CustomerName","Customer Name"),
                grid.Column("Address","Address"),
                grid.Column("City", "City"),
                grid.Column("PostalCode","Postal Code")
            )
        )
    </div>

My question is how do I insert a link or button for each row of the WegGrid to export the content of the single row to pdf?

I consulted google search, but I only found examples on MVC ASP NET of exporting the entire content WegGrid to pdf and not exporting content of the single row to pdf.

I tried to search posts, without any result either, maybe I didn't use the right words.

I have tried to insert on WebGrid

@Html.ActionLink("Print Details Row To PDF", "PrintViewToPdf", new { id=item.CustomerId }) 

But I have error

The name “item” does not exist in the current context

Any suggestion?

Sunday, January 31, 2021 5:52 PM

Answers

• User1312693872 posted

Hi,Edwaed Sheriff Curtis

To pass the id to action, you should use this form instead:

grid.Column("test", format: item => Html.ActionLink("Export", "ExportPDF", new { id = item.CustomerID},new { target = "_blank" }))

Complete View:

//... your style
    <div>
        @grid.GetHtml(
        tableStyle: "gridtable",
        columns: grid.Columns(
                grid.Column("CustomerID", "Customer ID"),
                grid.Column("CustomerName", "Customer Name"),
                grid.Column("Address", "Address"),
                grid.Column("test", format: item => Html.ActionLink("Export", "ExportPDF", new { id = item.CustomerID},new { target = "_blank" }))
    )
    )
    </div>

Controller:( if you want to click and download at the same time, add 'attachment;')

public void ExportPDF(int id)
            {
                CustomerInfo rowtopdf = _db.CustomerInfos.Where(x => x.CustomerID == id).FirstOrDefault();
                string HTMLContent = "<table>";
                HTMLContent += "<tr><td>" + rowtopdf.CustomerID + "</td><td>" + rowtopdf.CustomerName+ "</td><td>" + rowtopdf.Address + "</td></tr>";
                HTMLContent += "</table>";
                Response.Clear();
                Response.ContentType = "application/pdf";
                Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "filename=" + "PDFfile.pdf");
    //Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment;filename=" + "PDFfile.pdf"); Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache); Response.BinaryWrite(GetPDF(HTMLContent)); Response.End(); } public byte[] GetPDF(string pHTML) { byte[] bPDF = null; MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream(); TextReader txtReader = new StringReader(pHTML); Document doc = new Document(PageSize.A4, 25, 25, 25, 25); PdfWriter oPdfWriter = PdfWriter.GetInstance(doc, ms); HTMLWorker htmlWorker = new HTMLWorker(doc); doc.Open(); htmlWorker.StartDocument(); htmlWorker.Parse(txtReader); htmlWorker.EndDocument(); htmlWorker.Close(); doc.Close(); bPDF = ms.ToArray(); return bPDF; }

Result:

Best Regards,

Jerry Cai

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2021 8:13 AM

All replies

• User503812343 posted

On link redirect to a controller action where you will have to read specific data and create a PDF with required data only.  

You can use paragraph or cells and another attributes

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/d40a40/create-simple-pdf-file-using-itextsharp-library/

Monday, February 1, 2021 7:31 AM
  • User-1453200658 posted

thanks for reply.

Your suggestion is C# ASP NET

I asking help for MVC ASP NET

Monday, February 1, 2021 8:11 AM
  • User1312693872 posted

Hi,Edwaed Sheriff Curtis

To pass the id to action, you should use this form instead:

Complete View:

//... your style
    <div>
        @grid.GetHtml(
        tableStyle: "gridtable",
        columns: grid.Columns(
                grid.Column("CustomerID", "Customer ID"),
                grid.Column("CustomerName", "Customer Name"),
                grid.Column("Address", "Address"),
    )
    )
    </div>

Controller:( if you want to click and download at the same time, add 'attachment;')

public void ExportPDF(int id)
            {
                CustomerInfo rowtopdf = _db.CustomerInfos.Where(x => x.CustomerID == id).FirstOrDefault();
                string HTMLContent = "<table>";
                HTMLContent += "<tr><td>" + rowtopdf.CustomerID + "</td><td>" + rowtopdf.CustomerName+ "</td><td>" + rowtopdf.Address + "</td></tr>";
                HTMLContent += "</table>";
                Response.Clear();
                Response.ContentType = "application/pdf";
                Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "filename=" + "PDFfile.pdf");
    //Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", "attachment;filename=" + "PDFfile.pdf"); Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache); Response.BinaryWrite(GetPDF(HTMLContent)); Response.End(); } public byte[] GetPDF(string pHTML) { byte[] bPDF = null; MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream(); TextReader txtReader = new StringReader(pHTML); Document doc = new Document(PageSize.A4, 25, 25, 25, 25); PdfWriter oPdfWriter = PdfWriter.GetInstance(doc, ms); HTMLWorker htmlWorker = new HTMLWorker(doc); doc.Open(); htmlWorker.StartDocument(); htmlWorker.Parse(txtReader); htmlWorker.EndDocument(); htmlWorker.Close(); doc.Close(); bPDF = ms.ToArray(); return bPDF; }

Result:

Best Regards,

Jerry Cai

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2021 8:13 AM