none
Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 creates (not expected) Debug / Release folder when switching Solution Configuration

Question

• Hello,

Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 creates Debug / Release folder when switching Solution Configuration

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new MFC Application project (with default settings)

2. Set in Debug + Release project configuration OutDir and IntDir to e.g. 

<OutDir>..\..\bin\$(Platform)\bin\$(SolutionName)\$(Configuration)\</OutDir>
        <IntDir>..\..\bin\$(Platform)\obj\$(SolutionName)\$(Configuration)\</IntDir>

3. Close and save solution and verify that in the new solution folder and subfolder no Debug / Release folder exists.

4. Load solution and switch "Solution Configurations" from Debug to Release and back to Debug and close solution.

-> Not expected Debug and Release folders are created in the folder where the .vcxproj is located.

Andreas

Friday, February 26, 2016 11:57 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Andreas Schniertshauer,

Does the OutDir and IntDir in your step 2 means Output Directory and Intermediate Directory?

I changed these two directories to another folder based on your description with Visual Studio 2015 Update 1, and I get the same result with you. There are not Debug and Release folder in my assigned directories. If misunderstanding, please feel free to let me know.

I suggest you submit this issue to Visual Studio Connect and then share the link here. I will vote your feedback, and it also can let other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comments for your feedback. I think the report team experts will evaluate this problem seriously and give us the Email update. Thanks for your feedback for the VS products.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, February 29, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Hello Weiwei,

yes, OutDir is the Output Directory in Visual Studio 2015 Up1 "Project Configuration\General\" property page and IntDir is the Intermediate Directory on the same page.

Could it be a problem with the .suo file, sometimes in the .suo appears content that does not belong to the current solution, e.g. in OutLiningStateDir maybe when more than one Studio is open or if a solution is loaded into an active studio (with another solution loaded) (global variables)?

Andreas

Monday, February 29, 2016 1:55 PM

>>Could it be a problem with the .suo file, sometimes in the .suo appears content that does not belong to the current solution, e.g. in OutLiningStateDir maybe when more than one Studio is open or if a solution is loaded into an active studio (with another solution loaded) (global variables)?

I don't think this problem caused by the .suo file. Because I just open one Visual Studio and loaded one solution. The .suo file is belong to current solution in my test scenario.

And I try to change the Output Directory and Intermediate Directory again, this time the files generated in the assigned folder, but they are not in the Release/Debug folder. Please check the path you assigned, the files are generated with out Release/Debug folder.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Hi Weiwei Cai,

I reported the issue to connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2421804

Andreas

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 8:37 AM

Thanks for your feedback. Please be patient waiting for the response from report team expert and I will close this thread later.

If any questions about Visual Studio IDE, please feel free to come back to our forum to create new threads.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 1:22 AM