none
64 vs. 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

•  

Working with the SSRS support team at MS we have discovered a problem using Windows Server 2008 64-bit version and SQL 2005 32-bit version Reporting Services. One of the ideas that was tossed out was simply using 64-bit SQL only my concern is that our application is setup to use SQL v8.0 not even 9.0 for backwards compatability with my sql2000 clients so what concerns do we have if we jump onto the 64-bit band wagon?

Will I have issues with Stored Procs, Views, Tables? Just looking for direction and advice here.

Thanks!

Friday, May 30, 2008 12:22 AM

Answers

• It has been my experience, with the exception of the Oracle Client and Integration Services, that there is no difference in moving from x86 to x64.  Never had any problems with anything, in fact I would give the x64 migration raving reviews.

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:59 AM
  • We have had nothing but good experience going from 32-bit to 64-bit. One nice thing is that the data file(s) do not change between 32-bit to 64-bit, so it does not have to be a one way trip.

As far as clients go, I have never seen any issues with 32-bit clients talking to 64-bit database instances (at least in an all Microsoft stack).

Monday, June 2, 2008 7:17 PM

All replies

• It has been my experience, with the exception of the Oracle Client and Integration Services, that there is no difference in moving from x86 to x64.  Never had any problems with anything, in fact I would give the x64 migration raving reviews.

Friday, May 30, 2008 2:59 AM
  • I don't think that there is any difference in behavior between SQL Server 64 and 32 bits. Otherwise, it's a bug.

As to your prolbem, you are using x64 or ia64 windows server 2008. SQL Server 32 bits should work with x64 OS.

Friday, May 30, 2008 7:26 AM
    Answerer
  • We have had nothing but good experience going from 32-bit to 64-bit. One nice thing is that the data file(s) do not change between 32-bit to 64-bit, so it does not have to be a one way trip.

As far as clients go, I have never seen any issues with 32-bit clients talking to 64-bit database instances (at least in an all Microsoft stack).

Monday, June 2, 2008 7:17 PM