Expression Design Color Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone.

I am using Expression Design 1. When I work on any graphics in Expression Design, the color is not correct inside the application, and on export is even worse. Does anyone else have this issue. I have compared same images in photoshop and Expression Design and the color in photoshop is correct.

If anyone has the same issue, have you been able to solve it.

I love the product, and I would like to use it exclusively for my Web Sites, but I cannot until color issue is resolved.

I have tested an installation on separate computers, different monitors and high quality graphics cards.

Thanks.
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 5:09 PM

All replies

• Expression Design 1 will use a color profile if you have one set. 

1. Go to the Control Panel, Color Management, Devices tab.
    2. Uncheck the box in the Device section that says “Use my settings for this device”.
    3. If that box is already unchecked, click the Advanced tab and check what your Windows Color System Defaults are set to. They should be set to a profile that contains “sRGB” in the title. If one or both of them aren’t, try setting Device Profile to “System default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)” and Viewing Conditions Profile to “System default (WCS profile for sRGB viewing conditions)”.

If you already have an sRGB profile set, go back to the Color Management dialog, Advanced tab, click the “Change System Defaults” button at the bottom. Another Color Management dialog appears – stay on Devices tab, in the “Profiles associated with this device” section select the color profile that you have listed and click Remove, then click Yes on the confirmation dialog. Click Close. Close the second color management window.

You will need to restart the machine after making this change. Be sure you delete the color profile for your primary monitor if you are using more than one.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support
    Thursday, May 1, 2008 7:25 PM
  • I too have problems with color inside Expression Design, but my problems relate to saving, changing, and using pallettes. I had
    hoped the solution here would work for me. Not so, but then I'm not using Vista or a monitor profile.

1. I have no color managemetn profile. The Display control panel has some but not all of the settings mentioned. This machine is a 2 year old DELL with 2 gigs of RAM and an Intel 2.8 Ghz processor. There is no separate video card and the monitor is managed by the integrated Intel 82915G/GV/910 EXPRESS Chipset family on the motherboard.

I'm running WindowsXP Pro SP3. (I installed it before it was withdrawn, but I already had the problem.

The more I read the instructions the more I feel Expressoin Studio is crippled in terms of what one would expect from professional level software. Is that why version 2 is coming out before I can read the documentation on what I purchased? And there's no upgrade discount either!

Janie Axtell

Will Buffington said:

Expression Design 1 will use a color profile if you have one set. 

1. Go to the Control Panel, Color Management, Devices tab.
    2. Uncheck the box in the Device section that says “Use my settings for this device”.
    3. If that box is already unchecked, click the Advanced tab and check what your Windows Color System Defaults are set to. They should be set to a profile that contains “sRGB” in the title. If one or both of them aren’t, try setting Device Profile to “System default (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)” and Viewing Conditions Profile to “System default (WCS profile for sRGB viewing conditions)”.

If you already have an sRGB profile set, go back to the Color Management dialog, Advanced tab, click the “Change System Defaults” button at the bottom. Another Color Management dialog appears – stay on Devices tab, in the “Profiles associated with this device” section select the color profile that you have listed and click Remove, then click Yes on the confirmation dialog. Click Close. Close the second color management window.

You will need to restart the machine after making this change. Be sure you delete the color profile for your primary monitor if you are using more than one.

Will Buffington

Always Reckless
    Sunday, May 4, 2008 4:21 AM
  • It is possible to run color profiles in Windows XP, though if you say there are no profiles present on the machine that would not be the problem. You can also try reducing the hardware acceleration:

1. Close Design 1. Right-click the desktop, and then click Properties on the menu.
    2. Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.
    3. Click the Troubleshoot tab.
    4. Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the left toward none a notch and then click OK, then OK again.  
    5. Launch Design and note whether the problem still occurs.

Please let me know.

Will Buffington
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 7:35 PM