"Unable to load the test container" error while running coded ui tests on the nightly build from TFS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

While running the coded ui test from tfs on the nightly build, i received the error

Unable to load the test container '\\somelocation\somebuildnumber\Mixed Platforms\Release\sanity.dll' or one of its dependencies. Error details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.Silverlight, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Could someone help figuring out the issue.

Thanks

Shadhana

Friday, December 23, 2011 2:34 PM

Answers

• Have you installed Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2 on the Team Build agent machines?

Silverlight support is available only in FP2 and this needs to be installed on the machine where build is happening.

Monday, December 26, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Hello Shadhana,

Just as Mathew mentioned above, in order to have TFS build agent to build or run your projects successfully, you need to have the same software environment on the build agent machine as your local machine. And based on the error message you provided above, your TFS build agent can’t find the 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.Silverlight.dll assembly on the agent machine. So you need to install Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2 to have that assembly available on the build machine.

You can get it here from the MSDN Subscribers download site:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=211835

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 26, 2011 8:08 AM
  • You need to install Feature Pack on the *Build* agent. (not Test agent).

Any combination of 32/64 bit is expected to work.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:50 AM

All replies

• Have you installed Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2 on the Team Build agent machines?

Silverlight support is available only in FP2 and this needs to be installed on the machine where build is happening.

Monday, December 26, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Hello Shadhana,

Just as Mathew mentioned above, in order to have TFS build agent to build or run your projects successfully, you need to have the same software environment on the build agent machine as your local machine. And based on the error message you provided above, your TFS build agent can’t find the 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.Silverlight.dll assembly on the agent machine. So you need to install Visual Studio 2010 Feature Pack 2 to have that assembly available on the build machine.

You can get it here from the MSDN Subscribers download site:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=211835

Thanks.

Vicky Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Monday, December 26, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks to both Mathew & Vicky for the response.

I installed Feature pack 2 on the Test Agent machines.But still its not working.

What i observed now was my local machine is 64 bit where as test agent machines are 32 bit.

Is this why its not working ? Any workaround.

Thanks

Shadhana

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:46 PM
  • You need to install Feature Pack on the *Build* agent. (not Test agent).

Any combination of 32/64 bit is expected to work.

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:50 AM
  • Thanks alot.

Now the issue is resolved.

But would like to confirm few things.

Should the references like 'Microsoft.VisualStudio.QualityTools.CodedUITestFramework' dlls, Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.UITest.Extension.Silverlight  should be set to 'Copy Local' ?

In my project, build happens on one machine & deployment happens on another machine. So its the Deployment machine which needs the Feature pack2 installed on it ? Am i right ?

• Edited by shadhana Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:30 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 2:23 PM
  • i have also received same error messages that was mentioned above

when i create build through below setups, build created successfully

1)edit build definition

2) edit process tab---->load the .vsmdi project file instead of project.dll file in automation portion

3)queue the build

4)no error message is displayed

please let me know about this solution

is it correct solution to creates build or not?

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 9:33 AM