Refresh doesn't show new rows RRS feed

• Question

• I have a desktop LS application with three tables Parent, Child and GrandChild.  There are two screens, one is list and details based on the Parent and the other List and details based on Child.  So the first screen shows Parent+Children and the second shows Child+GrandChildren

I run the application and view the Child + GrandChilden screen.  Then a Windows service uses OData to insert a row in both Child and GrandChild.  Back in the desktop App I press refresh but I don't see then newly added 'Child' row.  If I switch to the 'Parent+Children' view and select the appropriate 'Parent' row then the newly added 'Child' row can be seen.  Switching back to the 'Child+GrandChildren' and pressing refresh again I still don't see the new 'Child' row.  Even if I close and reopen the 'Child+GrandChildren' screen I don't see the new row.  If I close the desktop application and reopen it then the new row is visible in all screens.

If the 'Child+GrandChildren' screen is not open when the Child row is inserted then opening the 'Child+GrandChildren' screen will display the new row (but not any subsequently created rows).

Is there something I need to do as part of the OData insert to make the new row be seen by an already open LS screen?  Alternatively, is there a way to force a 'Super-Refresh' so that the Child+Grandchildren screen show the current data?

VS 2013 RC

Version 12.0.20827.3 DP

Paul Linton

Thursday, October 3, 2013 8:04 AM

Answers

• I published the application and the problem does not happen.  That is, pressing refresh shows me all records no matter what is already open.

So it is only a problem running from VS.  I can live with that.

Thanks for the Fiddler suggestion because it made me do the Publish operation.

Paul Linton

• Marked as answer by PaulLinton Friday, October 4, 2013 12:37 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 12:37 AM

All replies

• I don't think this is a problem with an already opened LS Screen, as you are mentioning that you can see the data when you open the Parent+Children view screen, right?

What if you have the Parent+Children opened and not the Children+GrandChildren and you insert new data through the odata service and refresh the parent one, does it show the new data? if it does, then it is not a problem with opened LS screen.

I would advice you to use fiddler to trace what is going on and share the data with us. Use Fiddler and trace 2 scenario, one where you can see the data and one where you can't see it.

Thursday, October 3, 2013 3:35 PM
  • I published the application and the problem does not happen.  That is, pressing refresh shows me all records no matter what is already open.

So it is only a problem running from VS.  I can live with that.

Thanks for the Fiddler suggestion because it made me do the Publish operation.

Paul Linton

• Marked as answer by PaulLinton Friday, October 4, 2013 12:37 AM
    Friday, October 4, 2013 12:37 AM