none
Header files no in WDK10 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello experts:

I have just installed WDK10, and I noticed the WDK 8.1 also got installed. I have a few questions on this WDK10:

1. Is WDK10 self-contained to support building drivers for Windows 10? Or it has to work with WDK8.1?

2. Some header files seems not included in WDK10, for example, inc\api\devguid.h and many others; instead they are under WDK8.1's include\shared folder. Any one knows why?

Thanks in advance!

leo

Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:05 PM

Answers

• I think what you're seeing is that WDK 10 has triggered the installation of SDK 8.1, not WDK 8.1.

"devguid.h" is part of the SDK, not the WDK.  Now that both are installed in the same directory, it has become somewhat difficult to separate the two.

Tim Roberts, VC++ MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, August 21, 2015 5:36 PM
  • the wdk relies on the sdk to provide mode agnostic shared headers

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 21, 2015 7:51 PM

All replies

• I think what you're seeing is that WDK 10 has triggered the installation of SDK 8.1, not WDK 8.1.

"devguid.h" is part of the SDK, not the WDK.  Now that both are installed in the same directory, it has become somewhat difficult to separate the two.

Tim Roberts, VC++ MVP Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Friday, August 21, 2015 5:36 PM
  • Thanks Tim. I think you are right, its the SDK 8.1 because there is no wdf headers within. But for driver development, do I need SDK ?  Or WDK10 should be sufficient ?

leo

Friday, August 21, 2015 5:49 PM
  • the wdk relies on the sdk to provide mode agnostic shared headers

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 21, 2015 7:51 PM
  • Thanks!

leo

Friday, August 21, 2015 9:12 PM