none
Opening files in Azure Server Explorer in VS 2015 causes crash

Question

• When opening any file but the web.config file in the server explorer, visual studio crashes. The times that I was able to do a debug, it was complaining about a null pointer exception. This started happening randomly last Wednesday. The issue only effects 1 out of 5 of the web projects.

I know for a fact that this page exists, as the website still works!

On a different computer using 2013 and windows 7, it works fine.

Edit: Here is the exception:

System.NullReferenceException was unhandled
    Message: An unhandled exception of type 'System.NullReferenceException' occurred in Microsoft.CodeAnalysis.Workspaces.dll
    Additional information: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

• Edited by JeffrBaker Wednesday, December 02, 2015 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, December 02, 2015 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi JeffrBaker,

If just one specific web project has this issue, you could take a backup for this project, and then open it in a single solution, test it again.

Please also test it in other VS2015 machine, so we could know that whether it is related to the Environment or the project itself.

Please restart your machine, install the update 1 for your VS, and then run your VS in safe mode, open it again.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms241278.aspx

To make sure that it is related to the project file, one idea is that you could create a blank solution, and then add the project files to the new solution, clean and rebuild your new solution, test it again.

If we make sure that it is the project's issue, I mean that it is not related to the VS IDE, we would discuss this issue with the ASP.NET experts since it is the web project.

http://forums.asp.net

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 04, 2015 10:22 AM