none
How can I check if a backup is in progress from the Server PowerShell command line RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please assist with the following, thanks in advance

I have Windows Server Core and the MARS agent installed, therefore I have no GUI and can only use PowerShell for example

I setup the backup for SystemState and set to 2pm

at 2:30pm when I look in the Azure Portal under

"Recovery Services Vault" > "Backup Items" > "Azure Backup Agent" 

I do not see an active job running, I believe this is the place I should look to see if a system is actively being backed up? 

Therefore I though I would kick off the system state backup manually as follows 

Start-OBSystemStateBackup

When I do this I get the following message

VERBOSE: Starts a one-time backup operation.
    Start-OBSystemStateBackup : This operation cannot be performed now because a backup or restore operation is currently in progress. Wait until the
    operation finishes or cancel the currently running operation, and then try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Start-OBSystemStateBackup -Verbose
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Start-OBSystemStateBackup], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CBPBackupOrRestoreInProgress,Microsoft.Internal.CloudBackup.Commands.StartCBSystemStateBackupCommand

Basically, it states a backup job is already running.

Therefore my questions are

1) Is there a PowerShell cmdlet I can use to check if a backup job (system state or files and folders) is running now? 

2) Am I looking in the correct location in Azure console to see if a backup is active, or should I be looking somewhere else?

Thanks very much

CXMelga

Friday, October 25, 2019 1:45 PM

Answers

• Thanks for reaching out!Here are the details you have requested.

1) You can use Get-AzRecoveryServicesBackupJob to view monitor the backup job.For more information, please refer this article.

2) AFAIK , you can check the ongoing back up jobs at RecoveryVault -> Monitoring -> BackupJobs. For more information and also troubleshooting if your job isn't visible, you can refer this article.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 8:23 AM

All replies