MS Access 2010 project migration to Visual Studio Vb.Net language RRS feed

• Question

• User-1368377841 posted

Hi All,

We have an application in MS Access 2010 (ADP format) which contains Module, Class Module, Crystal Report and connecting with SQL Server for back end. We got the requirement to migrate the application to Visual Studio .Net Framework (v 4.6) - VB.Net language.

As far i know Forms and Crystal reports should be re-created, and VBA & VB.Net both are two different languages but there are some code (Module / Class Module) can be converted into .Net. I am going through various technical forms, but couldn't find the right flexible tool / online conversion / suggestion for this.

Expectation:

Tool to convert .bas & .cls file coding to VB.Net

(or) Import .bas & .cls file to  Visual Studio .Net (Don't want to refer the .bas/.cls file, instead of again want to convert to vb.net by importing the code of the file)

(or) Online conversation of .bas & .cls coding to VB.Net

Please help & advise me. Also give your suggestion on the migration.

Many Thanks

Manimaran R

Thursday, August 16, 2018 5:04 AM

All replies

• User1724605321 posted

Hi Manimaran ,

AFAIK ,  there is no such  effective tool to to convert such files exported from Access. Consider rewriting as an alternative , this makes less work than relying on tools or migration wizard and modify the drawback .

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Friday, August 17, 2018 5:19 AM
  • User-1368377841 posted

Thanks Nan Yn.

While considering the rewrite, is there any easiest option to reuse some code from VBA?

For example VBA code contains .cls and .bas files for Form Events, Database Connections and Business Login Functions. I hope that VB.Net still can understand some piece of code from VBA like some business logic functions. If so, then is there any easiest option and best practice to reuse some piece of code from VBA?

Many Thanks

Regards,

Manimaran. R

Friday, August 17, 2018 5:32 AM
  • User1724605321 posted

Hi Manimaran ,

I am not the VBA/VB.NET expert ,  in my opinion ,i'd prefer rewriting which may meet less problems than converting codes.

Best Regards,

Nan Yu

Monday, August 20, 2018 7:41 AM