Windows Vista and PNRP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

as preparation for my master thesis I have to make an elaboration about PNRP and its applications but I just

found some information on wikipedia.org.

These information is to less technical and not very detailed so I decided to make a thread in a forum where

people should know what exactly PNRP is (definitions) and where it can be used.

Of course I also found some information on Microsofts Tecchannel but even that is not enought.

PNRP in version 2.0 (I think this is the Vista version) is very new and not very common in use so the search

for literature is not very fertile.

Maybe someone can help me with some whitepapers or elaborations or can hint me where I can find

such things.

Many thanks in advance,

Andreas

Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

PNRP is not really a DHT, it is more like Distributed Routing Table (DRT). It proving the routing infrastructure based on the key. Multi-level cache is used to make routing decision more efficiently.

Please let me know if you need some more clarification.

Thanks,

Pritam

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:17 PM

All replies

• Hello Andreas,

We have a whitepaper for PNRP published here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/p2p/pnrp.mspx

It goes into more detail about how PNRP works, and hopefully it can answer some of your questions.  If after reading the whitepaper you have any additional questions, we'd be happy to discuss them.

Thanks,

Vladimir

Friday, June 22, 2007 8:48 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

Most of the material on the web is geared towards developers.  I'd love to talk about your work. 

Send me an email if have time time:  tylbart at microsoft.com

Thanks!

Tyler

Monday, June 25, 2007 8:02 AM
  • Hi you both,

I am just at the beginning of this elaboration about PNRP but I am still searching for some "mathematically" background,

so to say the complexity-calculation for e.g. adding new nodes to the network.

If I will not find anything I will post here once again.

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 8:09 PM
  • Hi Andreas,

As mentioned before you will find lot of information on PNRP at http://blogs.msdn.com/p2p/default.aspx and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/p2p/pnrp.mspx.

If you need any clarifation, please let me know.

Thanks,

Pritam

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:43 PM
  • Hello everybody,

at the moment something is not realy clear for me: Each node in an existing network has his own cache, the multi-level structered one, further

PNRP uses distributed hash tables but for what reason? The connection between DHT and muli-level-cache is not clear for me.

Could someone of you be so kind and try to explain?

Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

PNRP is not really a DHT, it is more like Distributed Routing Table (DRT). It proving the routing infrastructure based on the key. Multi-level cache is used to make routing decision more efficiently.

Please let me know if you need some more clarification.

Thanks,

Pritam

Friday, July 13, 2007 8:17 PM
  • I have another question regarding the different levels of the multi level cache:
    Once a level has reached its maximum numbers of entries a new level is created.

In which way the already existing entries are alloted to the new level? Can someone pls explain in detail?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:45 PM
  • We can't discuss this in more detail. Please let me know your specific problem.

Thanks,

Pritam

Thursday, July 26, 2007 10:37 PM
  • According to image 4 on http://www.microsoft.com/technet/network/p2p/pnrp.mspx each lvl of the cache can contain 10 entries. Once a level has reached this maximum a new level is created, more or less below the level that has reached the maximum number of entries.

My question: Are any entries taken from the full cache level with 10 entries to the newly generated level and if so, which entries are moving to the newly generated level?

Friday, July 27, 2007 9:34 PM
  • When an entry is added to the lowest level of the cache and that level is already full then a new level is created below it.  This new level is one-tenth the size of the cache level it sits below and is centered on the local node's PNRP ID.  Any cache entries from the upper level that lie within the bounds of the new lower level are placed in the lower level.  If there are no entries within the bounds of the new cache level then the new cache level is removed and the new entry replaces one of the entries in the upper cache level.  As entries are added to an already full cache level other than the lowest level in the cache then the new entry replaces an entry in that cache level.

-Eliot

Thursday, August 2, 2007 2:56 AM