none
How can I change or pre-define the language of a search item? RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on SP2013 on-premise standard edition. Our farm is based on English (US) edition with traditional Chinese language pack installed. The language preference in IE are English (US) and Traditional Chinese.

We have 99% documents (including word, excel, powerpoint, pdf) are marked as Chinese by SharePoint search engine. But we found 1% of document are being marked as English by mistake. For example, an Excel with "ID" as 1st column. The values are like "BG.AT.001.226.01.18". The 2nd ~ 10th columns are in traditional Chinese. However this Excel is being marked as English document. Hence, this document will never show up in search result if my language preference is Chinese.

My question is how can I change or pre-define the language-definition of a search item? Or how can I remove the "language preference" settings in search form so that search results will not be filtered by language?

Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark Lui,

When the search crawl is running, automatic language detection takes place before the web service callout, and sets the value of the languages managed property. There is no way to change the managed property value.

Per researching and testing results, it is impossible to use multiple language preference for searching. If the document is defined as a English document, we will not get the results when searching this file with a Chinese word. It is by design.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 11:05 AM