none
Covast and upgrading BizTalk from 2009 to 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not very familiar with EDI, although I've worked with BizTalk for several years now.
    Currently I'm investigating an upgrade from BTS 2009 to 2010. The current situation receives a flatfile which is converted into multiple xml files, BTS then uses Covast for sending EDI messages. Now I'm wondering wether I still need to use the Covast Send pipeline, or can I also use out-of-the-box BizTalk 2010 functionalities for that?
    Does anyone have any experience with this? The point is I don't know what the CovastEDISendPipeline does exactly. Is there an upgrade available for Covast 2010 anyway? 

Any help is appreciated!

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly
    Nicky van Vroenhoven - MCTS BizTalk Server

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 10:02 AM

Answers

• I have migrated a solution from Covast EDI on BTS 2006 to Microsoft EDI BTS 2010. This was not a big problem, but if you have a lot of maps in your current covast-based solution you must in fact re-create all your maps as indicated in an earlier post. Covast and Microsoft representation of the same Edifact schema differ, but since they both represent the same Edifact file the overall struckture is almost identical. This makes re-creating maps quite easy, but do not underestimate that it will take som time.

The scenario you describe seems to me quite easy to test and implement, just create two partners and configure an agreement. and you should be able to test this quite easy.

This is a good place to start if you have never worked with edifact in biztalk before(I had not). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226324%28v=BTS.10%29.aspx

If you have other questions regarding covast/MS and edifact do not hesitate to ask.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The BaseEDIAdapter (written by Covast) was deprecated in BizTalk 2006 R2.  As far as I know, the Convast EDI Accelerator does not run on BizTalk 2009.  Can you confirn that you are upgrading form BizTalk 2009 to 2010? 

The out of the box EDI functionality in Biztalk 2010 supports receiving and sending EDI messages.  To upgrade your current implementation you will need to replace the Covast schemas with the MS schemas.  Next, you will need to remap any mapping which you have. Finally, you will need to select the MS EDI send and receive pipelines. (Note:  assumes messaging only)

Thanks,

William

Thursday, April 7, 2011 5:28 AM
  • HI William,

thanks for the response.

They are indeed running the Covast Business suite 2009 on a BTS 2009 machine.

The scenario is indeed messaging only. So the EDI send port is directly subscribed to the receive port.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly
    Nicky van Vroenhoven - MCTS BizTalk Server
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:43 AM
  • I have migrated a solution from Covast EDI on BTS 2006 to Microsoft EDI BTS 2010. This was not a big problem, but if you have a lot of maps in your current covast-based solution you must in fact re-create all your maps as indicated in an earlier post. Covast and Microsoft representation of the same Edifact schema differ, but since they both represent the same Edifact file the overall struckture is almost identical. This makes re-creating maps quite easy, but do not underestimate that it will take som time.

The scenario you describe seems to me quite easy to test and implement, just create two partners and configure an agreement. and you should be able to test this quite easy.

This is a good place to start if you have never worked with edifact in biztalk before(I had not). http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb226324%28v=BTS.10%29.aspx

If you have other questions regarding covast/MS and edifact do not hesitate to ask.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 1:39 PM