none
How Do I - configure an LPT port on my virtual machine Hyper-V RTM RRS feed

• Question

•  

My base OS 2008x64 Ent has an LPT port. I would expect to see an LPT port as an option on my hosted VM XP x32 Pro. The option does not show up.

Any reason why?

Also, my current config for LPT is 0x378, PS2 mode, no interrupts. Other options (both in system BIOS and OS configuration) are ECP or EPP. ECP would force the use of an interrupt, which configuration and IRQ would you recommend?

-Carlos De Matos

Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:17 AM

All replies

• Have the same question! Did you find out the solution or is anyone out there that can give us a hand with this LPT port in Hyper-V?

Roman

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 4:48 PM
  • I am guessing that you are attempting to use Server 2008 with Hyper-V as your workstation or development platform.

Unfortunately, Hyper-V does not present LPT ports to virtual machines (that can be used through the Hyper-V manager console interface anyway).

the way to accomplish being able to print from within a VM is to install a printer on your parent partition and then use the full RDP client to remote directly into the VM.

You can find instructions for doing that here:

http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2008/07/remoting-devices-into-hyper-v-child.html

If you have another case where you have a software HASP or the like - that is a configuration is currently not supported.  You would need to use VirtualPC.

Why is this?  The Hyper-V console actually proxies the VM console, taking additional parent partition resources - and Hyper-V is a full hypervisor - not a tool like VirtualPC.  They are different animals designed for totally different use models.

Friday, October 3, 2008 6:34 PM