What privileges are needed to install a Windows 8 metro app?

Answers

• According to the Build session on installation and updates (session 905): http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-905C, no escalation will be required for installation or updates. Apps are generally installed per-user (though this can be overridden by the app - for example, a system utility) and are automatically updated using a versioned update format which ensures the bits are only downloaded once and shared to all users for which the app is installed.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Benaw,

I will research this further and get back to you.

I do know that if you generate an application via visual studio, you can also have it it generate an .appx package and .bat file that calls power shell commands to install the app. I know that this method of installation does require you to be an administrator in order to install a certificate.

I will get back to you to regarding whether or not administrator privileges are required in all Windows 8 metro app install scenarios.

thanks - mark

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:33 AM
  • Hi Benaw,

You need to have a Developer License installed on the machine in order to install applications. Installing the Dev License requires admin privileges, however, installing applications does not (it is a per-user operation). The //build images with tools already have a Developer License installed (per-machine operation), so any user should be able to install apps. (NOTE: The dev license is different from the certificate an .appx package is installed with.)

The above assumes we are talking about applications that do not come from the Windows Store. Admin privileges are not required to install apps from the Store (once it is live).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more details. thanks - mark

Saturday, September 17, 2011 12:57 AM
  • So then it is possible to install and run a metro app on my development PC without having VS open?  The scenario is that I would like to be able to write applications for my personal use that are not suitable for store deployment.
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 9:54 AM
  • Thanks. Must you always be administrator or will it depend on the particular apps local access requirements?  (I am thinking of who will be able to auhorize the installation of an application if it comes from market place for instance)
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:03 PM
  • According to the Build session on installation and updates (session 905): http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/BUILD/BUILD2011/PLAT-905C, no escalation will be required for installation or updates. Apps are generally installed per-user (though this can be overridden by the app - for example, a system utility) and are automatically updated using a versioned update format which ensures the bits are only downloaded once and shared to all users for which the app is installed.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 1:49 AM