The item $ does not exist at the specified version RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded TFS2005 Single Tier to TFS2008 Dual Tier and everything was working fine for a month, and now after added a couple of new users to a Read only group the Contributors no longer have access to checkout code or get latest. The error given is "The item $ does not exist at the specified version.".  I added all users directly to the project level and still received the same error when checking out.  

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 10:23 PM

Answers

• The issue was the group was part of another read only group a few levels in on permissions. The best way to find out what permissions are assigned to a user is to use the following command.

tfssecurity /server:<yourtfsserver> /im n:<TFSusername>
    • Marked as answer by David R.Brown Friday, April 24, 2009 6:47 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

To rule out it being a permissions issue, I would recommend opening a visual studio command prompt and running the command:
    tf permission.
    For large set ups, redirect to a text file for an easier read; tf permission >c:TFSpermission.txt.

This will give you a good overview. Be wary of any paths where "Inherit security" has been turned off. Pay carefull attention to Any Deny permissions (a deny will lock out a user, even of he is another group).

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:56 AM
  • The only item that does not have inherit is the root "Server item: $/ (Inherit: No)" all others have inherit and no users are listed under deny. The list only returned the groups permissions and not the individual users. I was able to get some users to work after removing them from the group, added them directly to the project and removing the group from that project. So I am now trying to figure out why would the group have access one moment and then once I add a new member they all lose access.

Friday, April 17, 2009 2:46 PM
  • The issue was the group was part of another read only group a few levels in on permissions. The best way to find out what permissions are assigned to a user is to use the following command.

tfssecurity /server:<yourtfsserver> /im n:<TFSusername>
    • Marked as answer by David R.Brown Friday, April 24, 2009 6:47 PM
    Friday, April 24, 2009 6:47 PM