Windows 8 managed DirectX - open source and marketplace compatible

General discussion

• Update: Two triangles in sample to form a quad, and the quad rotates using a series of matrices! The default build mode is "Debug". Set to "Release" to pass marketplace validation. More improvements are on their way

How to build in Release mode

* First, note that building in Release mode is not as easy as it is with a "normal" app

* To compile for Release mode, remove the Debug references to DXInteropLib, and re-map them to the 64-bit Release build (similar folder structure, pretty self-explanatory)

* If, after re-mapping the dependencies, it still doesn't work; do a complete rebuild of the solution.

* These problems will be fixed as the library grows more mature.

For those wanting XNA in "tailored" apps, I've been working on a solution. It is open-source, anyone is welcome to contribute, and can currently draw a white triangle over a blue background (as well as load textures). This means that vertex buffers are implemented, a rudimentary shader is implemented, and it is possible to load textures. The project needs to be compiled in Release mode to pass certification for the marketplace.

Here is the link to the project for those interested

• Edited by IDWNet Monday, October 3, 2011 4:14 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 5:00 AM

All replies

• Since the future of XNA is vague, I'm looking for such a solution as well. SharpDX claims their library now can be used to code metro games :

http://code.google.com/p/sharpdx/

Monday, September 26, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Unfortunately SharpDX miserably fails certification. Too many unsupported APIs
    • Edited by IDWNet Monday, September 26, 2011 11:34 AM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Since the future of XNA is vague, I'm looking for such a solution as well. SharpDX claims their library now can be used to code metro games :

http://code.google.com/p/sharpdx/

Fails certification -- too many unsupported APIs. I will improve my API so use of this one is not necessary (now I know that a program.cs can be used too)
    Monday, September 26, 2011 11:34 AM
  • @IDWNet, the errors you are posting are quite normal, as I didn't remove lots of API that are compiled for the desktop (but are not used my metro app. For example, the namespace Design that is generating lots of errors and is only used on desktop but can be removed easily). Keep in mind that the SharpDX 2.0 assemblies for Win8/Metro are a preview... SharpDX will probably pass certifications as all the API is using authorized COM/Win32 API. Though there are couple of things that still need to be clarified about the new 4.5 core assemblies...

The preview version is probably not entirely cleanup up from some CLR/Win32 functions that are not supported by Win8 metro, but that will be easy to replace them.

Using SharpDX, you will be able to use it from desktop as well on Metro, without to change your code.

You should better leverage on the unique features of your wrapper instead of bashing around existing wrappers. We are all on the same boat.

Alexandre Mutel - SharpDX - NShader - Code4k
    Monday, September 26, 2011 10:16 PM
  • @IDWNet, the errors you are posting are quite normal, as I didn't remove lots of API that are compiled for the desktop (but are not used my metro app. For example, the namespace Design that is generating lots of errors and is only used on desktop but can be removed easily). Keep in mind that the SharpDX 2.0 assemblies for Win8/Metro are a preview... SharpDX will probably pass certifications as all the API is using authorized COM/Win32 API. Though there are couple of things that still need to be clarified about the new 4.5 core assemblies...

The preview version is probably not entirely cleanup up from some CLR/Win32 functions that are not supported by Win8 metro, but that will be easy to replace them.

Using SharpDX, you will be able to use it from desktop as well on Metro, without to change your code.

You should better leverage on the unique features of your wrapper instead of bashing around existing wrappers. We are all on the same boat.

Alexandre Mutel - SharpDX - NShader - Code4k
    Sorry about that. Didn't realize the errors were to be expected by the API (based on the number of errors, I thought it was "heavily dependent" on these "outdated" APIs), and didn't realize it would be such a simple fix. In the future, I'll file a bug report (politely), instead of bashing on a project.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:24 AM