none
SQL CE 3.5 on Windows Embedded Compact 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

can I use SQL CE in .NET Applications on a Windows CE 7 device? Yesterday I tested a sample project which work's fine on a CE5 device. On CE7 I get an error... Could not load System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll.... Since there is no "new" CAB i tried to copy the Native DLLs and the .NET Wrapper to my application folder. Same Error. I think the problem is that SQL CE 3.5 is based on .NET CFv2 and on CE7 there is only CFv3.5, right?

Regards Chris

Thursday, March 3, 2011 8:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• (a) You need to SQL Compact 3.5 SP2 installed on your dev machine.

(b) Alterntavely point your SQLCE reference to the dll under others in theC7 directories.

Check file version (not class version) 3.5.8080 .. (Ithink itsthat one)

DJaus Snr SW Dev (Embedded Systems and .NET)
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:00 PM
  • I used .NET CF 3.5  in my C7 Compact database app.

I built a forms/datagrid app and also an console app that used the classes.

DJaus Snr SW Dev (Embedded Systems and .NET)
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:02 PM
  • I have an app running with sql2005 on wce5 and terminals symbol MC9090.
    Company changed the terminals by new one symbol MC9200. So I converted the app from VS2005 to VS2008, database from SQL2005 to SQL2008.
    I tested using the emulator on VS2008 and worked well.
    On my laptop with windows 7, under the folder sql compact edition/device there are two folders: wce4 and wce5. Why is not one for wce7?

I got the sql.wce5.armv4.cab and installed into the terminal. I got a message that it is not compatible, and it allow me to install it.
    When I execute the app, I am getting an error "Sql.client.dll or its dependencies not found".
    I guest that I need a new cab for wce7, something like this:  sql.wce7.armv4.cab

I did a search on internet and I did not find it. Where I can get a sql client for windows embedded 7 ?

Thanks,

Irma

Monday, April 18, 2016 11:01 PM
  • Hi Irma,

In Windows Embedded Compact 7, SQL CE is distributed with the OS.  You can see the following lab from Sam Phung at http://www.embedded101.com/Blogs/SamuelPhung/entryid/230/Compact-7-Getting-Started-Part-6-Develop-SQL-Compact-Database-Application

As you are using a Motorola device, I suggest you review this topic at Zebra's site: https://developer.zebra.com/thread/3002 and reach out to Zebra for any further support on their OS build.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:30 PM
  • IoTGirl,

Thank you so much for your quick response, and for provide those links.
    I will review them and apply the changes to my code.

Thanks,

Irma

• Edited by rdgzil Monday, April 25, 2016 5:54 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 5:57 PM
  • You are very welcome Irma!
    Friday, April 22, 2016 6:51 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

I replaced sqlclient.dll by sqlserverce.dll and updated all sql commands on my code.

Now I am getting the following error when it is trying to connect to DB:

Can't find PInvoke DLL 'sqlceme35.dll'

In the following line of code:

ConnI = New SqlCeConnection(sConn)

DB is on a server is correct to use SqlServerCe instead SqlClient?

I am trying to test with emulator on VS2008.

What could be happening?

Thanks,

Irma

• Edited by rdgzil Monday, April 25, 2016 5:53 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Hello Irma,

It sounds like you are still missing some required assemblies. (A quick search finds other folks with the same message http://www.bing.com/search?q='sqlceme35.dll')

Have you reached out to Zebra and confirmed support for SQLCE on their device?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, April 25, 2016 6:46 PM