none
How SharePoint determine that page should be taken from File System or Content Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Folks,

How SharePoint determine if the requested page should be taken from File System on WFE server or Content Database? I know about Site pages and Application Pages. Now, How SharePoint determine which pages is Site or Application pages? This Question was asked to me in Interview and I was stump and eager to know this. Please assist.

Thanks,

Chintan

Thanks, Chintan

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:30 AM

All replies

• Hello Chintan.

Basically, when a site page is customized, that page is said to be "unghosted" and its content is stored in the content database; if a site page has not been customized, that page is said to be "ghosted" and it will run directly from the file system.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Friday, April 19, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Thanks Luigi for your reply.

Yes, I know the concept of Ghosting/Unghosting. But,how SharePoint determine which page to fetch from File system or Content DB?

- Chintan

Thanks, Chintan

Friday, April 19, 2013 11:09 AM
  • Hi Chintan,

Hope this link "SharePoint Ghosted and Unghosted Pages" provides you the right pointers. Tough this is quite old article puts some good light on the overall concept.

Apart from the above I hope following articles will be worth going through:

To dig any more information just look out for virtualpathprovider, onet.xml because these are some where responsible for this.

Manish Patil http://patilmanishrao.wordpress.com Posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Manish Patil's Blog

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 8:08 AM