none
LDDatabase SQL authentication depreciated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been working on a inventory management system for a internet company I work at, but I've run into a roadblock with LDDatabase. We were building the database on a test environment, that ran a new version of MySQL and everything was working great. But when we ported it all over to our main database, it wouldn't work because the database was running an older version of MySQL (Version 5.1 I think) It would give me this authentication error:

We cannot update the database, because it is too integrated into our normal operations, and it would likely break the system. 

I was wondering if there is a way I could revert just the SQL library back to a older version, or if there is an older version of the LD extension I could get that would have the older version in it.

Thanks!

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:48 AM
    Answerer

Answers

All replies

• In This MySQL Reference Manual probably will help you, it is for MySQL version 5.7 and 3000 pages of texts.

Maybe there is a way ( surely well describe in this Reference Manual ) to revert to your older version.

here is the link : MySQL 5.7 Reference Manual

in  this section of the manual it describe what happen when you upgrade :

2.11.1.1 Changes Affecting Upgrades to MySQL 5.7

• Edited by YLedEditor Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:55 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2016 11:49 AM
    Answerer
  • Which LitDev version do you need??

First one with MySQL was v1.0.0.109 (24.June.2014); then there were 3 additional changes in 'LDDataBase' - see LitDev's ChangeLog - ... for v1.0.0.111, v1.0.0.114 and v1.1.0.2

Or do you know the date, timespan of the change or any string to search through zips ??

PS: You know, that there are the old releases of v1.0.0.133 and v1.1.0.8 on his site !?

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:56 PM
    Answerer
  • I haven't changed the version of MySQQL dll since I created the LDDatabase.

I you google "authentication with old password no longer supported use 4.1 style passwords" there is lots on this, and how to set the database to fix.

I haven't tested but there seems common solutions.

PS

If your database is using the old password hash and you cannot change the password to the new longer hash version, then you may need an older version of .Net dll - I can't include both in LD extension (they would conflict in the same namespace), so this would be a separate specific extension using an old version of the dll, which may also mean you can't use any other LD methods with it.

I'm not totally sure of all this, perhaps even your own C# app with the old .Net version of MySQL dll depending on what you want to do, bypassing SB.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:14 PM
  • Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:42 PM
    Answerer
  • I haven't changed the version of MySQQL dll since I created the LDDatabase.

I you google "authentication with old password no longer supported use 4.1 style passwords" there is lots on this, and how to set the database to fix.

I haven't tested but there seems common solutions.

PS

If your database is using the old password hash and you cannot change the password to the new longer hash version, then you may need an older version of .Net dll - I can't include both in LD extension (they would conflict in the same namespace), so this would be a separate specific extension using an old version of the dll, which may also mean you can't use any other LD methods with it.

I'm not totally sure of all this, perhaps even your own C# app with the old .Net version of MySQL dll depending on what you want to do, bypassing SB.

So you are saying that it is possible to create a separate SB SQL extension that uses an older version? Cause that seems like a plausible solution.

It is written: "'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will acknowledge God.'" Romans 14:11

Friday, August 19, 2016 11:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes that is my understanding of what I read online about the issue.

I read this.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13706463/authentication-method-mysql-old-password-not-supported

MysqL Connector/NET 6.6.x (as of 6.6.2) dropped support for old password style authentication (it was deprecated due to being insecure and there were documented ways to attack it).

You should get an old version http://downloads.mysql.com/archives/c-net/

Maybe just test a connection first in C# then wrap in SB extension similar to that in LDDatabase.

It is possible that this new extension will conflict with LD extension, I don't know.

If you need help with any of this then just ask.

EDIT

As a simple test for you I buildt LD extension with version 6.5.4 of MySql.Data.dll and uploaded as a beta test version to the usual place.
    Saturday, August 20, 2016 8:28 AM
  • Wow! That works great!!

Sunday, August 21, 2016 5:53 AM
    Answerer
  • Good, I will revert to this version then for future builds - I don't expect this to affect any existing programs.
    Sunday, August 21, 2016 8:55 AM