HOW OFTEN HAVE TABLES AND QUERIES USED RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to find out last date that tables or queries were used?  I need to clean out the tables and queries I don't use anymore and this would be the easiest way.  Thank you
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:31 PM

Answers

• perhaps a super guru knows of some system info buried deep inside; I definitely do not know of any way.  With tables one could of course add a date field, set it up with default Now() and wait for a sufficient period of time and then check them out.

of course the fact that a table hasn't been used doesn't mean it might not play some crucial role in an unlikely but occasional requirement - so you would really have to be sure your period of time is adequate.

once you ID the tables then you can use the dependencies to ID queries

Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Right click All Access Objects pane > click View By > click Details.  That shows the Created and Modified dates.  i think that's the only things exposed.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:12 PM

All replies

• perhaps a super guru knows of some system info buried deep inside; I definitely do not know of any way.  With tables one could of course add a date field, set it up with default Now() and wait for a sufficient period of time and then check them out.

of course the fact that a table hasn't been used doesn't mean it might not play some crucial role in an unlikely but occasional requirement - so you would really have to be sure your period of time is adequate.

once you ID the tables then you can use the dependencies to ID queries

Thursday, February 19, 2015 1:53 PM
  • I know about DateCreate and DateUpdate availability only:

SELECT MSysObjects.Name, MSysObjects.DateCreate, MSysObjects.DateUpdate
    FROM MSysObjects
    WHERE (((MSysObjects.Type)=5))
    ORDER BY MSysObjects.DateUpdate;

So, if you created a table a year ago but still use it every day, this won't be the solution.

Andrey V Artemyev | Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:20 PM
  • AVA, is that 'DateUpdate' refer to data inside the table being updated - or - the design of the table object being updated?
    Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:36 PM
  • I think the second one. Because it is the date of update of an Access Object, which may be a query, for example.

Andrey V Artemyev | Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Thursday, February 19, 2015 2:58 PM
  • You might check out http://www.accessdependencychecker.com/ as a more reliable way to "clean things out".

peter n roth - http://PNR1.com, Maybe some useful stuff

Thursday, February 19, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Right click All Access Objects pane > click View By > click Details.  That shows the Created and Modified dates.  i think that's the only things exposed.

Knowledge is the only thing that I can give you, and still retain, and we are both better off for it.

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:12 PM