Package Load Failure - Visual Studio 2008? RRS feed

• Question

•  Guys / Gals this problem has been happening for awhile. I'm to the point that i'm so sick of it that i'm posting here. I keep getting the following error:

"Package Load Failure

Package 'Visual Studio Explorers and Designers Package' has failed to load properly (GUID = {8D8529D3-625D-4496-8354-3DAD630ECC1B}). Please contact package vender for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may use 'devenv /resetskippkgs' to re-enbable package package loading.
    "

OK i have searched and most people were getting this error with Visual Studio 2005 Beta. But i'm having this problem in Visual Studio 2008 Team Edition, Development Edition. Now usually devenv /resetkippkgs will fix the problem for awhile but it continually comes back. Actually occasionally i have to run that command twice for it to fix the problem but it always comes back. Sometimes it might be a few days and sometimes its a few weeks but it always comes back. I have tried everything that i know of to try to fix the problem. Uninstalled / Reinstalled both Visual Studio 2008 & .Net Framework 3.5. That being said, i have both the Visual Studio 2005 & 2008 on my machine. I'm required to have both because of our environment.

I have Windows XP x86 with SP3.

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice to get rid of this problem.

thanks,
    ncage

Monday, August 4, 2008 2:08 PM

Answers

• Please try running devenv /setup, devenv /resetskippkgs in order to see if the problem persists.
    Edit: if you still have this problem please post back.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, August 11, 2008 4:01 AM
    • Edited by Figo Fei Monday, August 11, 2008 4:02 AM add words to mark
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:56 AM

All replies

• Please try running devenv /setup, devenv /resetskippkgs in order to see if the problem persists.
    Edit: if you still have this problem please post back.

Thanks.
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, August 11, 2008 4:01 AM
    • Edited by Figo Fei Monday, August 11, 2008 4:02 AM add words to mark
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:56 AM
  • I have been having this the package load failure error as well. Every time I launch Visual Studio 2008 the screens pops up and disappears. I do not have devenv.exe on my machine. I have XP SP2 and VS2008 SP1.   Any ideas?  Thanks.
    Saturday, August 30, 2008 7:47 PM
  • Any ideas? I'm having the same troubles..
    Monday, January 26, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Hutty,

If you do not have devenv.exe on your machine, that's why it's crashing. This executable is the GUI for Visual Studio. All I can say is that you need try to repair your installation. Beyond that, I'll leave the solution up to the folks from MS.

-Preston

Columbia, CA. USA http://www.gildedmoon.com
    Monday, January 26, 2009 7:11 PM
  • I've Devenv.exe and devenv.com in the Installation Directory of Visual Studio 2008 but after I run the instructions devenv /resetskippkgs the same popup appears again.

Bye
    Claudio
    Claudio
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 11:57 AM
  • Hi
    I've got the same issue with visual studio after the following :
    - install of sql server 2005 + sql server management studio (ssms) 2005 : ok
    - install of visual studio 2008 : ok (works fine)
    - install of sql server 2008 : failure
    - classic removal of sql server management studio 2005 : failure
    - removal of visual studio 2008 and sql server management studio through the tool from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/bb968856.aspx
    - install of sql server management studio 2008 : ok
    - install of visual studio 2008 : ok but package load failure
    devenv.exe does not fix
    any idea ?
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 10:02 PM
  • I am experiencing the same problem as described

I have run devenv /setup after that finished I ran devenv /resetskippkgs and the problem still exists
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:58 PM
  • I have same issue

i have installed SQL server 2008 Developer edition in my system, and also Visual Web dev Exp Edition, now it tried to install Visual Basic 2008 Exp Edition. it comes with the same error and also with "make sure the application for the file type .vb is installed", so any one know how to resolve it.

Regards
    KP
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:42 PM
  • In my case it was a bloated (corrupt?) SUO file (solution user options) on one of my projects.  This is a hidden file so you have to make sure you can view hidden files. It is right alongside the SLN file.  In my case it was over 13mb on one of my solutions.  Just deleted it and re-opened solution which created a new one which I think was less than 100k.  No problems ever since.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Well in my case is not the SUO file becouse wen i create a new project, the problem still happends.

I have uninstalled the VS and reinstaled and the problem persists.

EETR Informática LTDA ME
    Friday, February 19, 2010 4:06 PM
  • I have tried devenv /setup, devenv /resetskippkgs  multiple times with no luck. The only way to fix the problem for a specifiv solution that fails to load is to create a new solution and project and import the various objects, aspx pages, code files etc etc. again.  It is very annoying.

Beth S

Oh, It's very simple, I have been opening several solutions to make a change to a web service, and some of them were originally developed in VS 2005, and some in VS2008. The VS2005 failed with the Project Load failed error (why they did not attempt to convert I don't know).  I then converted them to VS2008 and they open without a problem.
    • Proposed as answer by Velvety Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:17 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:31 PM
  • After unistalling  the SQL Server 2008, i was getting the same error(Package load failure in Visual Studio 2008),  reinstalling the SQL-Server2008 with SP1  fixed the issue.

Thanks
    SunilT
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:23 PM
  • Uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and reinstall it.
    • Proposed as answer by drkrimson Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:49 AM
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:50 PM
  • I was having the same problem on Windows 7. 

I removed one security patch and one hotfix that were installed altely and so far I haven't received the messages again since, but the day is not yet complete....  I'm still testing it.  Just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 8:21 PM
  • "Please try running devenv /setup, devenv /resetskippkgs in order to see if the problem persists."

This worked for me. Thanks for the solution. 

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and the problem occurred after I installed vs 2008 service pack 1.

Threshing it out.
    • Edited by gEEk667590 Monday, January 10, 2011 2:48 PM clarification
    • Proposed as answer by brownjt Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by brownjt Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:06 PM
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:07 PM
  • Thanks! Reinstalling .net 3.5 did the trick for me via Control Panel > Programs > Windows Features > .net framework on Windows 7 with Visual Studio Team System 2008

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:48 AM
  • Uninstall .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and reinstall it.

+1 for this solution, worked for me, thanks!
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 11:23 PM
  • to uninstall .net 3.5 on Windows 7 you have to go to the Windows features, like alphanumeric said:

Dot Net Framework 3.5 is installed with Windows 7, it comes with it right out of the box. It won't be listed under installed updates because its installed with windows 7. You can't un-install it. You can turn it off though. If you go to Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on and off, you should see a "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" entry.

.net 3.5 is not listed in the Programs and features main window or in .net clean tool

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/174020-help-net-3-5-64-bit.html

Regards

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:17 PM