none
Install visual studio 2015 Enterprise with update 1 on top of 2015 community edition on same machine RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have visual studio 2015 community edition installed. Can I install visual studio Enterprise edition on the same machine without uninstalling / affecting already installed community edition?

The setup for Enterprise edition opens fine and does not prompt anything related to the already installed edition, but I want to be sure before attempting to install that it wont have any impact.

Thanks

Saturday, May 11, 2019 11:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Afreen_K,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to install VS 2015 community then CS 2015 enterprise in my side. Everything is in order.  In my view, you could install them from lower VS to advanced one in order. In theory, Visual Studio 2015 (and prior versions) are not designed for several editions to be installed at the same time. Installing or uninstalling one of them can affect the other ones at disk and registry level. So, after uninstalling one of them it is convenient to use the Repair option of the one that you want to use.

FWIW, Visual Studio 2017, currently in Release Candidate (RC) allows several editions to coexist (Community, Professional, Enterprise) because they use different folders on disk, almost no Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and private registry hives.

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 13, 2019 7:03 AM

All replies

• I know you can install multiple vs 2017 and vs 2019 editions side by side.  Not sure if that works with vs 2015?  Any reason you cannot upgrade to a new vs version
    Saturday, May 11, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Hi Afreen_K,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I tried to install VS 2015 community then CS 2015 enterprise in my side. Everything is in order.  In my view, you could install them from lower VS to advanced one in order. In theory, Visual Studio 2015 (and prior versions) are not designed for several editions to be installed at the same time. Installing or uninstalling one of them can affect the other ones at disk and registry level. So, after uninstalling one of them it is convenient to use the Repair option of the one that you want to use.

FWIW, Visual Studio 2017, currently in Release Candidate (RC) allows several editions to coexist (Community, Professional, Enterprise) because they use different folders on disk, almost no Global Assembly Cache (GAC) and private registry hives.

Sincerely

May

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, May 13, 2019 7:03 AM
  • Confused by this

VS 2017 and 2019 have both been released.  

Monday, May 13, 2019 9:32 AM
  • Hi Ken,

You are right, now the VS 2017 and 2019 RTM versions already released and the different versions community/professional/enterprise work side by side with each other, which means we can install them on the same computer.

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Afreen_K,

Do you have any updates? For the VS 2015, we can only keep one version the computer and please try to uninstall the VS 2015 community, then install the VS enterprise 2015.

If you have any issues, please feel free to let us know.

Best regards,

Sara

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:00 AM
  • Hi,

I ended up installing VS Enterprise 2017 instead of  Enterprise 2015, since you said multiple versions of 2015 cannot co-exist.

Thanks.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Hi Afreen_K,

We are so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thanks for your confirmation.

If you think my reply is helpful, please mark it as answer and that will help other community members to easier search this information, we can also close this thread for you.

Best regards,

Sara

Friday, May 31, 2019 1:17 AM